Upgrade Options: Ampeg B2R + BSE410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frets4fun, Mar 15, 2006.

1. frets4fun

Mar 15, 2006
    This is my first post. I'm a guitar player who has played bass for 1 yr. I don't have a lot of bass gigging experience and am looking for opinions on a rig-upgrade.

Current rig:
    Ampeg B2R (200W @ 8Ohms, 350W @ 4 ohms)
    BSE410 (8ohms)

Music: 60's/70's classic rock; need to cut-through 3 guitars

I love the sound of this setup. It seems to cut-through the guitars well. We don't normally run any of the instruments through the PA. We mostly play small bars, outdoor parties, etc. No "clubs" (yet).

I'm considering upgrading to increase the fullness of my sound. I don't see a need to get a whole lot louder.

One option is adding an extension cab. Rather than stack them, I would put one on either side of the drummer. I could
    Add another BSE410
    Add a BSE115

Or I could sell the B2R and/or cab and upgrade. I don't want to be lugging any refrig sized cabs so I'd stay with smaller components.

Any opinions?
  2. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I dunno if id add another 410he while still using that head, you'd need a bit more wattage. Depending on your budget range theres lots of options.

The ampeg 610hlf has a nice sound, a bit fuller than the 410, you could trade for that, but then id consider stepping up in wattage to a larger head.

What is your price range for upgrading?
  3. I play the 4 X 8" combo version of the B2. If you add another 8 ohm cabinet, you'll use the full power that the B2 puts out. I use a 1 X 15" cabinet with mine when I need the power bump. I'd suggest you just get a 1 X 15" cabinet (8 ohm). I'm sure you'll have what you need and your sound will fatten up, too.
  4. frets4fun

Mar 15, 2006
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm curious what the sound differences would be between adding a 1x15 or another 4x10. I prefer the modular approach (vs. a single 6x10 or 8x10). I know adding a cab won't be much louder but it will push a lot more air.

I could upgrade the head for something with slightly better tone and a bit more power, but I'm not sure it would be worth it (eg. SVT3Pro) or really "move up" (e.g. to a ~800W head).

I don't mind selling the B2R, but selling the 4x10 cab will be a pain and I'd rather avoid it. I like the sound I get out of it.
  5. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I think in your situation, you'll be best off with a 2nd bse410, which will push more air and give more punch than a single 15.

If you just add a 2nd 410, you can always upgrade your amp afterwards, if you find its not pushing enough watts for your needs
  6. frets4fun

Mar 15, 2006
    Thanks for the recommendation. Of course, herein lies the dilemma:

BSE410's are rated at 200W. If you purchase another and then upgrade the amp, you're running the risk of pushing them too hard. On the other hand, I doubt I'd need to get LOUDER than I am now. Maybe just add a little headroom and better tone. I'm thinking something like the SVT3PRO.
  7. I used an SVT III PRO for years. Personally, I like the B2 better, but that's just me. If the room is so big that 350 watts isn't enough, you'll be running direct anyway.