1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrade or buy new ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ABENM500, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ABENM500

ABENM500

Dec 27, 2011
    hi guys

i have a squire vintage modified jazz bass and was wondering if i should upgrade the bass, new pups and bridge etc. or should i try and get a fender jazz. i am on a tight bugdet so cost are of course important.
    What does everyone recommed??
    suggestions on upgrades or basses would be much appriciated

cheers ben

2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I would like to think you could get a used Fender Jazz at a reasonable price. I am not sure what kind of money it would take to upgrade/modify your Squire Jazz. While the Squire's are good instruments, the Fender's are better IMO. Good luck.

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    What do you find lacking in the Squier?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm against modding cheap basses. When you're done, it'll still be a Squier. And your mods should serve a purpose rather than just modding to mod. Honestly, the electronics and bridge on Squiers are fine. Maybe a pickup mod is acceptable but no need to go nuts.

5. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Whatever you do, don't buy new if you're on a tight budget.

Your Squier doesn't have much resale anyway, but remember that if you mod it, it will have virtually no resale value at all. This may or may not be a problem in your eyes, but just something to consider.

6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    The Squier is fine . Just practice .

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Upgrading the pups and bridge would be nice upgrade. New pups would give it better sound so long as you pick new pups based on tone change etc wanted.

8. Drop an Audere 3 band in it.

9. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I added a Gotoh Bridge, an Audere pre-amp, and DR Fat Beams. Sounds awesome now. I got the Auderefor $100 used off ebay. Pickups sound great. Oh and make sure your set up real good. It took a lot of tweaking (and a shim) to get mine just right.

10. Wow Andy d, great minds think alike, and at the same exact time too. Lol

11. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    +1

12. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Those are fine basses. Good as any fender ive played as long as it is set up well and not a total lemon. The only thing I change on basses are strings and wiring if it really needs an electronics upgrade.

If you want a fender style bass to mod and mess with, build a parts bass. That way there's no real value in it to worry about losing, and it will be to your specs. That's how I got my fretless P that I love to death, and it cost all of $175 to build.

13. If your main reason for considering an upgrade is to save money then forget that and buy a second hand fender. Sell the Squier to fund the purchase if need be.

If, however, you are considering upgrading because you like to tinker then go ahead. Just don't do so with the expectation that you will get anything close to the amount of money you spent on it when you go to sell. You'll end up with a bass that is truly your own and you can always keep putting aside your pennies for Fender later on.

On the other hand it's a great way to learn how your bass is put together and how to do your own set ups. That can save you a bit of money right there.

This is also a great idea. I've been putting together my own parts basses for a little while now and each one gets better and better. The last one I built (out of a mixture of Squier and Fender parts) was as good as any brand new MIM Fender I've played. I ended up giving it to my father for christmas and his reaction was quite priceless.

14. I think that in the long run it's cheaper to buy the Fender, but others will disagree.

15. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    That is a tough one. There might be a $200 difference (used) between the two. You could upgrade basses for the cost of the parts. You might still want to upgrade the pups on the Fender though. :)

16. Before you go off on a tangent sit down and compare your Squier with a MIM and a MIA Standard Jazz Bass. You're looking at spending $300-$500 for the MIM used and $700-$900 for the MIA used if you're looking at ones in top shape.

You own a $250 Bass. If you can honestly tell me that you can hear and feel more than a slight difference between those and your Squier then buy one. You're a better man than I because in over 35 years of playing Jazz Basses I can find little or no difference between any of them and my CV. The only one that gets a slight edge was my MIA Deluxe and I didn't pay anywhere near $1800 for it.

The only way that $150-$200 of mods to your bass will make it better is if you believe it is but I doubt most would be able to tell the difference unless they were told. Good Luck!

17. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    I have heard those VM Squier's are pretty nice instruments for the value. But to answer your question I would buy a new bass at that point. You did not mention a max amount of budget, however you should be able to find a pretty nice used Made in Mexico Fender Jazz (or Precision if you are looking for a change) bass for around the $200-$300 and something price range. I would look into that if you content on staying with the Fender brand.

18. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    If you're looking to spend the money on a MIA Fender....then maybe. Tonally, I don't think you're going to hear much of a difference, but I think the build quality is definitely superior. So if build quality is worth THAT amount of money at this point in your life, have at it.

It is certainly possible that you are like me and just love learning/modding. If ya want to change how it looks (changing the pickguard or pup covers etc...) that's fine/fun and can be done inexpensively. The only serious thing that is maybe worth changing are your pu'ups. This isn't because they are of poor quality on the VM....quite the opposite really...but you may be looking for a different type of tone. That's about the only thing I can think of.

If you're on that tight of a budget, throwing money into a Squier VM or getting a MIM Fender just doesn't seem like it's going to get you very far from where you are now.

Just my $.02

19. ABENM500

ABENM500

Dec 27, 2011
    hi guys
    sorry ive taken so long to reply had problems with the internet thanks very much for all your comments im gonna try and go to a big guiar shop next weekend to try out some second hand fenders. if i find one cheap im sure that will be added to my collection. cheers for the advice on pickups and pre amps. i will have fun researching them.

Cheers again ben :)