1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrade or Sell

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by seville8, Feb 6, 2001.

1. seville8

seville8

Sep 8, 2000
    Virginia
    I need some good suggestions. I have an older Washburn B-2. I was thinking of maybe adding a new bridge and pick ups..It has a p style pickup. I was wondering if it is worth trying to make a playable bass out of it. I paid nothing for it.It was given to me. I had it the neck and bridge adjusted but it still has bad action from anything beyond the 7th fret. Can you make this thing work without spending a mint?

2. This is impossible to determine without seeing the bass, because there are so many variables involved, eg; does the trussrod work properly, are the frets level, is the neck twisted do the bridgesaddle screws work, etc, etc. I would suggest finding a luthier or a competent tech to give it the once over. This will cost you peanuts, and will give you a better idea of what you should do.

3. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I agree, the overall playability of the bass is key to decide whether to upgrade. I think it also depends on whether you like anything about your current bass and feel it is worth keeping. I think you could easily spend around $300-400 on some basic upgrades.

4. seville8

seville8

Sep 8, 2000
    Virginia
    Thanks for the replies...If I could make it into a good playing bass for a couple hundred that would be ok because even though it is a cheap bass to begin with I have nothing invested in it. However, I am thinking that may be too big a risk for a cheap bass...it does have some fret wear and if I am gonna have to put 4 hundred into it I might as well go buy a 400 dollar bass that will be better than this one..Thanks for the input