Upgrade or Sell

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by seville8, Feb 6, 2001.

1. seville8

seville8

Sep 8, 2000
    Virginia
    I need some good suggestions. I have an older Washburn B-2. I was thinking of maybe adding a new bridge and pick ups..It has a p style pickup. I was wondering if it is worth trying to make a playable bass out of it. I paid nothing for it.It was given to me. I had it the neck and bridge adjusted but it still has bad action from anything beyond the 7th fret. Can you make this thing work without spending a mint?

2. This is impossible to determine without seeing the bass, because there are so many variables involved, eg; does the trussrod work properly, are the frets level, is the neck twisted do the bridgesaddle screws work, etc, etc. I would suggest finding a luthier or a competent tech to give it the once over. This will cost you peanuts, and will give you a better idea of what you should do.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I agree, the overall playability of the bass is key to decide whether to upgrade. I think it also depends on whether you like anything about your current bass and feel it is worth keeping. I think you could easily spend around $300-400 on some basic upgrades.

5. seville8

seville8

Sep 8, 2000
    Virginia
    Thanks for the replies...If I could make it into a good playing bass for a couple hundred that would be ok because even though it is a cheap bass to begin with I have nothing invested in it. However, I am thinking that may be too big a risk for a cheap bass...it does have some fret wear and if I am gonna have to put 4 hundred into it I might as well go buy a 400 dollar bass that will be better than this one..Thanks for the input