1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrade pickups for old Foundation????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    Gang
    my old Foundation bass just sits in the closet all depressed.
    its almost not worth selling cause the price is so low, and it does have a certain attitude about it that I always liked, and the neck feels good.
    So I'm wondering maybe I should upgrade the two soapbars and take it out once in awhile.

what pickups will work well there without having to gut the electricals [which are just like old Jazz.... vol, vol, tone]

z

2. Will new pups do what you want to the bass or are you simply looking to change "something" so you'll regain interest in the instrument?

3. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I have to say - I have a stock mid 90's Foundation and I wouldnt want to change anything with the tone - it smokes. Mine sounds like a great J-Bass. If anything, my only gripe is my tuners rattle - I need to get around to changing those...

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My Foundation has the original Super Ferrite pickups and it is the best sounding passive J-style instrument I have ever heard. I will keep those pickups forever. If I were to change, I would get some of those double stack Aeros or Nordstrands. Like you see on some of Nino's basses and Foderas.