1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrade Pickups/Preamp in American Deluxe Precision - PJ (2010)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by danclaro, Sep 28, 2010.

1. danclaro

danclaro Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    Just got a new Fender American Deluxe Precision bass... At first I thought the bass sounded great, but as I've been playing it more I've started to hear the P-pickup as muddy with a thin top end. When I dial in the J pickup the bass sounds more like a J but with a very dark, unclear tone, if that makes sense. When I engage the pre, set flat, it makes the bass crazy loud. I'm using new roundwound strings. And the bass sounds clear when played acoustic.

My previous P-bass (a '62 Reissue) had a Lindy Fralin in it and I thought that bass sounded like a typical P, with a bassy clarity that recorded beautifully. But when playing live it often seemed to get buried - I wanted sometimes to add a bit of bass or treble. Anyway, now I'm thinking either the Sadowsky PJ, or the Lindy Fralin PJ pickups. I've also considered buying the Hanson set because I like the way my Lakland JO4 sounds a lot. Anyone else replaced their AmDlx PJ pickups?

There's also the stock preamp. When you click the toggle switch, the volume and presence go way up. It's immediately clearer and bigger sounding. The 3-band eq is boost/cut, so you can do a lot with it. But it seems intended to clarify the big, bassy tone of the pickups. Could that be right? I should add that I've been playing through two different setups: one, an Aguilar AG500 with a GS112. The second is direct to an Apogee Duet and their Maestro software. Also, that my goal is to play the bass passive with the occasional boost of a pre.

Any suggestions about favorite PJ-pickups or preamps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. danclaro

danclaro Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    Wondering if someone on this list knows anything about the pickups and the preamp in the new Fender American Deluxe Precision bass? The J pickup is an "N3 Noiseless" and the P pickup is a "Deluxe Split Coil." But those designations don't tell me anything... is the P pickup the same as the one in the American Standard?

Also the three band preamp... can't find any information on it online to compare it to other onboard preamps...

3. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    Hey do you have the preamp with the passive/active circuit? I have the 04' version with the double Jazz pup and no switch..was wondering about those newer pre's...

4. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I had issues in my Deluxe P-bass, the split pick-up quit working, I first tried a set of Quarter-Pounders that I had, didn't like the mid scooped sound and, then I installed a set of Fender Original Precision Bass pick-ups .... found the sound I was looking for ... I though about the Lindy Fralin pick-up, but I didn't have the cash at the time and I've been pretty happy with the tone I'm getting

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021