1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

upgrade question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lurksalot, Apr 14, 2006.

1. hi
    I've recently picked the bass up after a number of years and have built a little rig that sounds quite nice .
    The band I've joined has 3 guitarists who share the load, and at practices ( in a large timber buiding ) I can sound quite nice with warwick profet 3.2 amp, warwick 410 and homemade 115 .
    we have some gigs lined up and after reading the FAQ section I think I could be underpowered :crying:
    I am concerned that the noise I make now, will be sucked up by pub soft furnishings and even the punters,and leave me with nothing left to turn up .
    I like the warwick tone, but an upgrade to a 5.1 seems a bit daft as it wont give me much .
    (In my youth I I had an OHM ga 125 which was PA 'd, and the soundman wound up the levels after the initial sound check when the punters came in.)
    I think I will be left a little wanting. so........
    my question is
    Do I buy a power amp and effectively use my warwick as a preamp ?
    Do I flog the warwick and buy apreamp and a power amp ?
    or do I just get on with what Ive got and see what happens ?
    The cabs are rated at 8 ohms 300W rms each so they should be OK (If a little weighty) .
    at this point I should add that wife ,kids and mortgage have a considerable influence on disposable income ;)
    :help:
    kev

:bassist:

2. ICI

ICI

Mar 8, 2006
    wife, kids and mortgage first. you've got three hundred watts, 4x10's and a 15. that should be plenty. i played with a 15 and 130 watts for years and i was fine. some of the bands were not bashfull either. a vote for, "just get on with what Ive got and see what happens ?".

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    +1. give it a gig or two, you might be surpirsed!