Upgrade: Seymour Duncan Hot for P, Hot for J, Aguilar OBP-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    My bass now has that setup. The controls are now: Volume, Volume (push/pull for bypass), Mid CutBoost/Mid Sweep, Bass CutBoost/Treble CutBoost.

Now, for my opinion. The Hot for P is great. Thick, fat, it's got enough midrange that if I'm using the P I can just leave it in passive mode. The J, unfortunately, has no body to it -- at all. I don't like it, but I'm gonna keep it for a while longer and change the strings. I put on TI Jazz Rounds and a Badass II at the same time as the pickup upgrade, and I'm not liking the TI's at all so next I'm gonna go the route of DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams and see how they do. Final Verdict: Very happy with the P. Very happy.

Onto the Aggie! This thing is my new best friend. The bass boost is massive, and really helps to add the body to the sound when I'm soloing the J pup that's so irritatingly gone. Great punch, and really helps me get the sound the fellow from Incognito uses on Jacob's Ladder. The pots are fine (I've heard people had problems with Aguilar pots before) but one of the stacked knobs I have (I don't know if it's the one I bought at the store or I received with the preamp) is ridiculously short and (I don't have a knob on it yet) very hard to turn.

In any case, the fellow who did it for me did a SUPERB job -- FOR FREE, and I wish him the best of luck and a Merry Christmas.

I might post more in this later, but it's CHRISTMAS MORNING! What am I doing online?