1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrade sr500 OR buy MIM 60s Reissue J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BeefSupreem, Jul 23, 2012.

1. BeefSupreem

BeefSupreem

Jul 23, 2012
    First post!

So I'm torn between upgrading the stock Bart pups and preamp on my SR500 that will run me about $350. I've heard both that the resulting sound rivals many $2,000+ basses and that there's no appreciable difference in tone.

OR

Should I go all out and get a used 60's Reissue J-Bass for $475? I've played this bass in-store and I absolutely LOVE the tone.

I gig regularly, but I'm a big guy so weight doesn't really matter to me. Also, my Franken-hands have no preference on neck size. I primarily want the J Bass for the slap tone (which my stock Ibby just can't match), but would the improved pups do the same thing?

THANKS ALL!

2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I have a few SR 500's as well and I would keep it stock and get the other bass. Why spend the same value that your bass currently is used for upgrade items that really won't add that same amount in value to it. In fact, with the market how it is right now, you probably won't add any value to it.

I'm not a big Fender fan, (Music Man for me) but if you are and you like the bass, go for it!

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have had a few of the Classic Series 60's Jazz basses ... but keep in mind, it is not actually a 're-issue' per se ... with that said, I have yet to play one that I did not like ... a LOT ... $475 is a good price, but with the tax you will be right up where these should be selling ... I was starting to have trouble with my arthritis and the 7.25" radius board on these, so I actually swapped out the neck for a 9.5" Reggie ... same tinting, reverse tuners, and vintage fret wires ...

These 60's Classic Series get a good amount of lovin here on TB, and rightly so ...