Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrade time...help me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VoodooDaddy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. I have a vintage Traynor Group B combo...for decades but I think I wanna upgrade. I know I'm asking for opinions and they will all be different but here goes. Playing mostly blues...would a SWR or an Ampeg be the choice and has anyone any horror stories of either?

Thanks in advance,
    Voodoo

2. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I prefer swr cabs sounding because of their clear punch compared to ampeg.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well from the brands you mentioned I think the SWR would be your best bet.

What is your budget?
    How many days in the week will you be playing out or going to band practices?
    Do you have a vehicle and a way to transport possibly big equipment to your band practice and home/to you gig and back?

Answer those questions and we may be able to help ya out alot more dude.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    IMHO, SWR is NOT a good choice for playing blues. SWR tend to be high fi/scooped sounding. Pretty much the opposite of what you want for blues.

5. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

I always thought SWR would be good for blues because I see alot of r&b and rap groups bassits use SWR stuff.

You can always EQ it, I'd rather be hi fi and be able to tame myself down with the SWR, then sound like mud with the ampeg and be screwed :bag: .

Thats my 0.02$

-Rob

6. I hear alot of people saying that SWR sounds scooped, and while I only have real experience with one of their cabinets, it is anything but scooped. When I run my bass and amp flat, it has TONS of low mid growl, and if I up the volume and boost the mids more than 3 notches, it can honk with any ampeg on the market. Perhaps other SWR products are scooped and I just got a unique one or something.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ya, you could, but why EQ something to sound like it doesn't naturally sound. I'm not bashing SWR, but in my opinion (which has been formed by over 25 years of bass playing), SWR is not a good sound for blues. Ampeg, Ashdown, Aguilar, Eden, and a few others come to mind as much more appropriate. Like I said, it is just my opinion.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

..and was that with an SWR head too?