Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrade to new MIM J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 737 Pilot, Feb 23, 2002.

1. 737 Pilot

737 Pilot

Feb 21, 2002
    Boca Raton, FL
    Just got a new MIM J Bass for $279. Last year's model they said. I think it was a mispricing.
    I want to do a minor upgrade as in pickups, rewiring, etc.
    Any ideas on this? Should I drop in some DiMarzio's or Fender upgrades, rewire everything and call it a day?
    As my user name would suggest, this is a hobby, so I'm not going for the absolute killer esoteric tone. Just something clean without the hum.

Thanks!

2. my plan for a Jazz bass is to drop a J-Retro preamp in there!!!

check the site...www.j-retro.com

3. i would suggest a seymour duncan j-bass pup or fender vintage's.

4. I would suggest you do a search for keywords along the lines of "MIM upgrades." There are numerous threads that cover this subject in much detail. Everything from pups to pre-amps.

5. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Put a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in it, shielded it and you're done. Great tone, no noise.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i upgraded my MIM jazz.

EMGs, Badass II bridge...

turned out ok.

wanna buy it?

like new...black white pickguard (with the plastic sheet still on!!! WHOO HOO).

call me.

fred

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Here's another vote for the J-retro.

Bones

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Get rid of that bridge!! There are a bunch of options, most notably the Gotoh 201, and the Badass II. Check out www.allparts.com and www.warmoth.com I upgraded the bridge and am in the process up slapping some Bartolini's in mine. Next is a custom pickguard. Good times. :D

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    J-Retro

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Wow, you got it for a steal. I paid 429.00 for my lefty MIM Jazz, but it is a lefty (fender hates us) and I had to order it.

Personally I love the tone of the MIM Jazz, couldn't ask for more unless you told me there was a way to get it to sound more like Stingray pups, but I doubt that'll happen.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I personally think that the pickups on the MIM Jazz basses are extremely underrated. I replaced mine with Basslines Quarter Pounders and the sound was different, but not necessarily better. I don't mind the single coil pickup hum, but if you do you should put humbuckers in there.

12. 429.00 for a lefty!I got lucky and got mine for 329.00(Blem)I ve got some antiquity 2's ordered if they ever get here.Not too fond of the stock MIM pups.That would do me fine,personally I think the bridge is ok for my taste, depending on what sound you want you might change it.Have fun with it.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's what I did. They're about the quietest single-coil pickups I've heard! Bass Player Magazine's review of them said about the same thing. I think there's a copy of the review on Bass Player's website... www.Bassplayer.com

That's the only thing I'd recommend. This will give you a nice, quiet, vintage tone with a bit more output than the stock Fenders you've got in there right now. Afte time, if you feel like upgrading anything else, that's when you should consider the J-Retro...I wouldn't do both at once.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Not to be a wanker, but the reason they're so quiet is because they're NOT single coils... they're humbuckers with side by side coils. Just something to note.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You're right. I stand corrected.

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My jazz has Bartolini pick ups and preamp with a Badass II bridge. It has a great 70s jazz bass tone. The active pick ups and the bridge upgrade give it nice lows and highs which are great for R & B, jazz, and funk.

I did my upgrade in the early 80s. Today, you have a lot more possibilities. I've heard great comments about the Aero jazz bass pick ups and the Retro preamp. I have not kept up with the new replacement bridges. Check out Bassplayer magazine for the "jazz bass pick up shoot out" article. Also, a search of Talkbass posts, say for "jazz bass pick ups, upgrades," etc., will yield a lot of informative posts.

17. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I really like my '95 MIM Jazz. All I've done to it is replace the stock pickups with Fender American Standards. It's a tremendous improvement, especially at higher volumes.

18. AndersK2

AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    I have tried some different upgrades/changes with my MIM Jazz.

* Shielding. I think this is the most important thing, you can do. Makes a BIG difference.

* Bridge. I tried a Gotoh 201 type, but, didn´t like it at all. The stock one has the REAL tone.

* Pickups. First I swapped the stock ones for DiMarzio Ultra Jazzes, and that was a real improvement. A more balanced and detailed sound, not so punchy as the stock ones. And they are humbucking.
    Recently I bought a pair of Fender Original Vintage Jazz pickups. They are more midrangey than the DiMarzios, not so heavy bass and a very smooth top, and very articulate and detailed. And they hum, when both not are full/same volume. But altogether, a very nice sound.
    So: if you want a real punchy and heavy sound, keep the stock ones.
    If you want a more detailed sound, go for another set, like DiMarzio´s or Fender Vintage, both are very good pickups.

* Tuners. I swapped the stock ones for Gotoh tuners, vintage style and they are heavier than the stock ones, and that affected the sound of the bass towards a clearer character. Besides that, they look better and seem to be more precisely machined.

*Pickguard. Put on a tortoise shell one, but that´s pure cosmetic, but it makes the bass look real nice (sunburst)

The modified bass I have now, feels like a very solid quality instrument. :D

19. I have an MIM Jazz, well it's really my wife's but she lets me play it. The only thing that's been upgraded is a set of P-bass knobs instead of the stock plastic knobs.

At some point I'll give it a good coat of sheilding paint in the routes but sonically I cannot think of anything to change esp. until I upgrade to a new amplifier. The Yorkville it's being used through now isn't that great and probably hinders the tone more than anything else at this point.

That brings up a question, I noticed that there is a large surface route from the control cavity to the neck pickup instead of the "hidden" route to the bridge pickup. Does anyone know why this is? Is it really cheaper to do it this way on the MIM Jazz?

Overall though it's a great bass for the price and I hope you are as happy with yours as I/we are with mine/ours... heehee.