Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, Jan 15, 2002.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    if i played all sorts of music, everything but country and death-metal.....would a six string be a good idea?? i was wondering if it would sorta be easier to handle or have more variety writing lines or something. some advise from six or up players.
    thanks
    Lukas

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you don't know why you need it, you don't need it. Don't waste your money.

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i was just thinking if i could make better lines cause theres more notes to throw in there, i like to screw around with something so that i can make a really cool bass line, using harmonics, appegios, scales, octaves and effects to make the groove feel alive, just wondering if i could be more alive with a six shooter.
    later
    Lukas

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It adds a C string. If you're playing that high that often anyway, then sure. But, I doubt you are. You can do all the stuff you mentioned on a 4 or 5. The 6 is NOT going to make you any more creative, and remember, the note is pretty high. You wouldn't use it much if ever in the music you seem to like.

The extra string will not change your playing other than to make it more sloppy, very likely. It's certainly not going to make you suddenly become a great player, or be more creative.

If you can't make a cool bassline with a 4 or 5, you can't with a 6. It isn't the bass.

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i just thought with the extra strings there are more notes to play with ( more "versions" of the same note, octaves ) so i could "play" more.....anyway. sticking to the 4 is still cool, i can groove just as good with it but i just thought with the extra strings there would be more options available to me.
    later
    Lukas

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You've got the octaves on a 5 string. Unless you play octaves up at the 19th fret, you aren't gaining any notes. Save your money.

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Instrument choice is a very personal matter. I can't say whether or not a 6 is right for YOU. I will suggest you go to a music store and play some 6 stringers for an hour or two, you will probably know after that if you wish to pursue it....or not.

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    theres a catch. my music stores where i live are tight, they make you buy before they order it. and no one delivers here with ebay or anything.

i might try a five, over the times here ive picked up many things about 5'ers.

i would like to try octaves at the 19th fret and so on. slap some effects on that and it would be SweeT.

later
    Lukas

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sigh...you're missing my point. Oh well, do whatever, I don't think whatever I said is going to sink in.

10. Every string you add, adds a total of 5 notes. If you have to question "Do I need it" then you don't.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually, on a 24 fret instrument, every string you add adds 25 notes (not counting harmonics). If more people thought about it this way maybe less would be dismissing "more than 4 string" basses.

Hmmm...

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    4 strings good 6 strings better, 4 strings good 6strings better,4 strings good 6 strings better, 4 strings good 6strings better,4 strings good 6 strings better, 4 strings good 6strings better,

Thats probably too sublime for... everyone actually.

Find your own path, go on your own journey...

Multi stringers fretless piezo's midi, playing a P bass with a pick, its all out there. Part of the fun is finding out what you want.

A much better question would be "I have narrowed it down to A B and C" who has em and what are they like; reliability, customer service etc"

All my opinion and usually proved wrong by Brad

Hi Brad

13. What math are you doing saying that 1 string adds 25 notes? on a 24 fret insturment.... it would add 9 different unique additional notes. 25 counting the whole string, but yet 16 of them could be played on other places. I'm not against 6 stringers, or 5 stringers for that matter, I mean if you need them or want them thats great. I'm just stating the fact that it only adds 5-9 more unique notes to the spectrum. Yes, it does make playing higher notes a lot easier, becuase you don't have to travel so far up the fretboard.

14. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Sure, (with 24 frets) there are 5 unique notes found nowhere else on the neck, and 20 notes that have counterparts in different positions elsewhere with slight tonal differences and availability with respect to reach and combination.

That makes 25 new notes. And no new frets. Dontcha just hate that new math? ;^)

elwood

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    As soon as you get above 5 strings, technique and string muting becomes a huge and very painful issue.

You better want that extra string real bad 'cause it's gonna kick your butt for a while.

It is however about the only way to steal from Nathan East. You just can't get that high while still holding down a low note without it.

IMHO of course.

And yes, I know the BBNE is a five string but his real jaw dropping stuff is on a six.