Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgraded Electronics in a Fender MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Jan 25, 2001.

1. I was playing a stock MIM Jazz the other day and I liked the way it played. I want to know, has anyone upgraded to active electronics, and if so, what did they use, and what do they think? I am in the market for a solid 4 string, and I really love the way the Ernie Ball Stingray plays and sounds for the money. However, I am looking for that kind of punch, but I would also like versatility. I play both percussively and melodicly and I was wondering if I could get that punch and versatility out of the MIM Jazz with upgraded electronics? Any feedback and/or insight will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance

[Edited by funkysurfer on 01-25-2001 at 10:27 AM]

2. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001

Hey Funkysurfer,

I put a set of Seymoure Duncan Basslines in my MIM Jazz
    and they sound great. You may also want to make sure that
    the bass is grounded to eliminate any hum. Also for few
    extra bucks, a Badass bridge will help with the substain.

peace, BJ

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i bought a black MIM JAZZ fretless 4 string. I upgraded to active EMG's, Badass bridge, graphite nut and a mylar sheet over the fretboard.

With ELIXER or TOMASTIK jazz flats, it sounds great.

I hate the way the neck tends to squirrel on me, needing adjustments more than i care to deal with.

Since I got my graphite necked 5 string fretless and have benefitted from its stability...i'll be avoiding flat sawn single piece wood necks from now on!

I thought the stock pickups sounded pretty damned good, just really noisy!!!!!

fred

4. I have a fairly new MIM Jazz. So far I have only put on a Badass II bridge, P-Bass knobs and a pearl scratchplate. Personally I would rather get some good passive pickups such as Lane Poor/Fender custom shop/Seymour Duncan rather than go active as I want to keep the same tonal character of the bass. As I also own a StingRay 5 I can tell you that if you want the sound of a MM the cheapest and easiest way is to get one! Other basses such as Laklands offer the ability to combine a mix of MM/Fender sounds but from my experience it would be difficult to get your Jazz to sound like a StingRay IMHO :)

5. All suggestions so far are valid, interesting, and will work. BUT...from what I've heard over on the Fender Discussion Page is that the single best electronic mod you could do to the MIM is the installation of a J-Retro pre-amp from Vintage Bass Trading Co. http://vintagebass.com

They were recently reviewed with glowing results in Bass Player and everyone that has one has raved about it's sound. It's a 3 band unit with passive capabilities. It comes completely wired on a Jazz tone plate with chrome stacked knobs, ready for installation. From what I understand, some basses require a little relief in the inletting to fit while others don't. You'll do a disservice to yourself if you don't check'em out.

6. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Well guys. I personally left my stock pickups in. What I did add was the bridge/bridge pickup cover. I totally changed the sound! You see, it alters the magnetic field of the pickup, and gives it a different tone. I recently added a neck pickup cover as well, and that too changed the tone. It gives a Jazz a bigger, deeper tone.