Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgraded jazz w/ bart preamp & emg pickups..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Today I upgraded my 1989 usa fender jazz with a set of active emg pickups and a bartolini 2 band ntbt preamp. It sounds extremely nice now and I'd definately recommend the bart preamp/emg pickup combination. There's absolutely NO room left anywhere in the control cavity and changing the battery could be a pain, but it's worth it for the tone it puts out :) Very deep (but not boomy) lows and a nice smooth highend. The bartolini ntbt is the 3 knob volume/blend/stacked bass/treble setup and really gives the emg's depth and brilliance. Anyone else use the bart preamp/emg pickup setup?

2. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Which emg's did you use? I was thinking of getting some active pickups and a bart ntbt for my corvette standard (currently passive), but do not know what to get.

Would I be able to use the passive pickups with an active preamp, or is this not recommended?

3. many people (me for example :p ) even prefer passive pickups with a preamp over active pickups with another preamp

4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    For a while I was using the original passive pickups with the active preamp and it sounded great. It's all a matter of taste really.. (I was just looking for slightly better string to string response). The EMGs I used are the standard active j-set that they have. The ones you buy in guitar center for $139 or around that ;) Sounds great, highly recommended. :cool:

5. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool. I think I'm going to try it.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Upgrading a jazz,

I highly recommend giving a try at the J-retro preamp (3 band) or at the BTB-01 (2 band). Even with the stock pickups.

They are really worth the price and very well designed!

JP

7. gumwr

gumwr

Jun 3, 2002
    Harrisonburg, Va
    infect,
    i've just installed a bart ntbt in my guitar. the difference in mine and yours is that i have passive pickups. here is my problem: ive installed a pass/act DPDT switch along with the system (vol/blend/stacked bass-treb). when switched to active mode, it sounds ok, only the signal is very low; when i should be shaking the roof down, its a mere "play while others are asleep" volume. when switched to passive it is MUCH lower than this. so low that i couldnt tell if there was sound coming from the cabnet or if it was just the acustic sound from the string. as of now i have a 25k volume pot and unlabeled blend and stacked tone pots (they all came with the bartolini wiring harness). any ideas on what could be going on? i'm very frustrated. thanks for any input.
    william gum