Upgraded my B2R to a SVT3PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rodl2005, Mar 16, 2006.

1. :hyper: Just got me an AMPEG SVT3PRO- traded in my B2R for it- LOVELY, Ive been playing bass live in bands since 1978-so my 1st amp was an Aust made "VASE" valve head with a 15" & 12" in the same cab- that got stolen around 1985! So I used a mates Fender bassman(silverface-with blue writing) 100w Valve head, Till I had enough $$$ to buy my own-which was a AUST made EMINAR valve "PA" head-worked fine for bass tho! HAve always loved the way U can feel valve amps-even at low volumes- I remember hoe people were amazed that once -about 10 yrs ago- I took the Ampeg SVT350AH??? not sure of model no.- BUT it was basically a B2R in a SVT casing- off of the SVT810E cab it was sitting on & replaced it with MY Eminar 200w valve head! Ppl couldnt believe I was gonna use a old Aust. Eminar instead of the Ampeg Supplied for the gig! BUT 2 me there was NO comparison- I could have 1/2 the vol. on stage coz I could FEEL the bass( & believe me, it sounded great thru the 8x10") where as the 350w tranny amp seemed to me to be UNDER powerered to run the SVT810E, whe my 200wvalve head ran it beautifully!!! But time goes by- I get older & due to tone & weight factors I bought a B2R & it was a great li'l amp. Lovely tone -almost Valve like! Almost! But last week I bit the bullet & lost my $$$$ but bought (I THINK) the best of both worlds- the SVT3PRO!!! Hallelujah- again I can feel the tone-even at low volumes- & it has the lovely AMPEG tone! Can't wait to test it out in my other band, a 7 piece that plays LOUD- rock, RnB & old(real IMHO) Rythm & Blues.
    Sorry to ramble on & thanx for "listening"
    Basically-so far I love this amp. What do all U other TB'ers think of the SVT3pro?:bag:
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I don't like it. :bag:

I'm glad you do, though! :)
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It sounds good enough, but I find em underpowering.
  4. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Congratulations! I should be getting mine tomorrow, so I can comment in a few days. I played one briefly and liked the tone a lot. It's Ampeg's number one selling amp for a reason. I like to let the PA do it's job, so I'm happy with enough power to allow me and my bandmates to hear the bass on stage. I do have an SVT-II that sounds great, and I will use, but you have to really "eat your Wheaties" to lug that around, so it will be nice to have a very light (in comparison) alternative.

5. :eyebrow: Thanx for yr replies guys-sorry to hear that sum of U don't like the SVT3pro, but thelaw of averages........
    Since my orig. post Ive done a few more gigs with the Svt3pro & she is still STUNNING me with her warmth- as I said B4- I liked the sound of the B2R, but the tube warmth seems to shine thru! PS... I'd luv an 2pro or a SVT classic, but out here in OZ these things are around the 5K mark!!!!! thats a lotta gigs for me to pay off!!! - Also a lot of breakfasts my kids would have to miss out on-----& I cant do that. I already have an ALL tube head in my OZ made 1973 Eminar 200W P.A. head. & this sounds great too-but weighty, & the Ampeg tone adds up to a SVT 3PRO!!! STILL love it-more!:bassist:
  6. Skel, I hope U R happy with yours- BUT U guys in the states are lucky to be able to get these amps at a more realistic price than wot we Aussies have to put up with!!! Also choice is the key word too- I live in Tasmania-Island state of Australia-population only about 500K all up! So only 2-serious muso stores in my city-which is the capital too!!! Hobart- luvly place- just isolated, therefore goodpoints & badpoints................ Hope U luv ur SVT3pro as much as I do Mine!
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I love my SVT3-Pro. Lovely warm growly tone - as you found - but, as mentioned by others, could use a bit more headroom (power). It's enough to keep me heard over our drummer and guitar player, and it's easy to run a DI to the house if I need more. If you like what you hear, and it does the job for you, stick with it.
  8. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    I'm thinking of upgrading to the SVT 610 or 810 because I feel like my 410HLF cant handle the raw power screaming out of my SVT3 PRO.:bassist:

Love it, did I say I love it;)
  9. :eek: I've not found the SVT410HLF to be unable to handle the SVT3PRO at all, I've even heard that it is too UNDER powered for an 8x10 - dunno 'bout a 6x10 tho!
    SVT3PRO- the ONLY thing better is an SVT CL ALL tube mutha! IMHO!:bassist: ROD
  10. I like the 3-Pro, but I wish it had more headroom like everyone else is saying. Tone for days though. That tube gain controls some of the bottom I've noticed, turn it to 3 'oclock to get that tube warmth with some controlled bass. Setting your input gain is important too. Don't touch the ultra-lo unless you're playing a quiet jazz gig.
  11. Dan the Lorp

Dan the Lorp

Aug 30, 2005
    NW Florida
    For more headroom, try the SVT-6, it's basically an SVT-3 with double the power (1100 watts at 4 Ohms)!
  12. Hey rodl,
    can i ask how much trade in you got on your b2r? I have just got a svt pro 4 and still have my b2r, so was wondering how much i could expect back for one in good condition. Cheers
  13. d3ftone04

Aug 7, 2006
    i play an SVT3pro through an 8x10, and it sounds great and i love it. Headroom again is a problem for me also, shoulda gone with the svt-classic with the 8x10(the best i've ever heard)...but this was cheaper and worked for me at the time. I might have to get the classic eventually though, just because it looks amazing sitting on top of the 8x10, and of course what comes out of the cab is the best part.