Upgraded My Yamaha TRBX305

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RockinBass85, Oct 4, 2016.

1. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Jan 17, 2014
    Hey y'all. I'm probably posting in the wrong area. I upgraded the electronics in my Yamaha TRBX305. Replaced the pups with Aguilar Super Doubles, and the preamp with a Seymour Duncan STC-3P. I love it so far, been playing with this set up for about 5 months now and I totally love it.

I did not like the old preamp, the switch for the EQ was a nice feature though. Maybe it was just me, but whenever I boosted or cut any of the bass freq's, I heard too much of the lo mids getting dragged along for the ride too. But the treble boost/cut never affected mid freq's noticeably to me.

Even though the pickups were OK, I wasn't a huge fan of the overall mids/punch that came with them. I do like a punchy sound (practically need it to cut through the mix in our worship team), but it just didn't sound right to me.

I chose Aguilars because of the online review of the brand, being they had just release a new set of pickups, I was hopeful they would have more of a fat J-bass punch/growl. I chose the preamp purely because it was cheap. I don't regret it though.

The Aguilar Super Doubles sound great. I play them with a set of black beauties (all white bass with all black hardware). The whole set up sounds cleaner and clearer than before. The pickups give me a large tonal variety to play with. Selecting the bridge pickup, and boosting up the mids and bass delivers a "musicman-esque" tone. Neck pickup delivers a fat almost P-Bass tone, which I love for cutting through rock songs with a much punchier low end. Both pickups together, it's pure heaven. I have a video on YouTube where I played Sir Duke a couple years ago, I will venture forth and re-record the song with my new set up if anyone is interested.

Now to the interesting stuff. I had to shoe horn my pickups in there because I was stupid and didn't realize how tight of a fight 1 or 2 mm of measurements can make. On top of that, they're about a 1/2" shorter than the old pups, leaving me gaps in the pickup cavity. I want to fill in those gaps and the hole where the old mid freq switch used to be and make it look nice. Anyone have any advice on how to do this?

If worse comes to worse, and it proves to costly or too difficult to do, I'll just save up and buy an Ibby SR405 Dragon Eye (beautiful bass!) and move my electronics over.

2. Do you have a true bypass switch to play without the Active Preamp if battery goes dead or you just want a passive sound when needed?

Crystalman85 likes this.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I have a yamaha trbx305 myself. and I was thinking of modifying this bass recently. I was thinking of modifying it with a new preamp and if possible a passive and active switch. I do like the bass punchy sounds and I was wondering what to get to improve this bass. I have no idea that you could put a set of aguilar super doubles on this bass. I was thinking of getting those for my Ibanez sr305. those or bartolini pickups. if I for any reason I couldn't improve on anything on this bass, I would most likely save some cash for a yamaha trbx505.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I was wondering the same thing.

5. Stuart Hmm

Stuart Hmm

Aug 3, 2011
    East Europe
    I have seen such pickup size problems successfully solved by pickup frames, like on Gibson guitars. About the switch, 3 solutions:

1. Active / passive
    2. Killswitch, if passive isn't possible
    3. "Producer switch"

6. Adnan Feroz

Adnan Feroz

Feb 22, 2017
    I've been using Yamaha trbx305 for more than 5 years...tbh the more time goes I am hating it more...it's not like i need a new bass...but the tone doesn't sound right to me...I hate this type of tone...too much gloomy...the mid lows + the active pre amp which produces extra gain..it's just too much ..i am looking for this type of punchy tones...I want to upgrade the bass by updating it's pre amp and pick ups...i was searching online for the people who felt the same way ...luckily i've found this thread...My question: I want to upgrade my bass in a different way : I want the neck pick up to be replaced with a humbucker pickup which can be used as active/passive pick up through a push pull supported pot (definitely the electronics) and the bridge pick up to be replaced with a p style pick up ...this is my choice ...so my question is do you have any suggestions for the humbucker and p pickups for this size..