1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgraded Squier affinity p bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BuzzyJames, Feb 2, 2017.

1. BuzzyJames

BuzzyJames

Feb 2, 2017
    I have researched this for weeks. I took a cheap affinity p bass that was laying around for 10 years and decided to open it up and look inside.
    I read dozens of different opinions. Half said not worth it half said go for it.
    The problem with the 'not worth it' argument is all were the same. Just buy a $700 bass. Well, like many others, I don't have $700. I have $175. I bought a Hipshot bridge, Dimarzio pickups and installed them myself.
    Soldering is not a big deal. Is it worth it? YES...I know how my bass functions. And YES...it sounds better....much better. It kicks ass.
    Anyone thinking about upgrading...do it. It brings you closer to your instrument. You understand it better. Well worth the money.
    My new pots are ordered and will be installed next week. I also put a new pick guard (11 dollas from China) no....it doesn't match the existing screw holes so just drill new ones . It's fake tortoise shell and looks great.
    Upgrading is the best thing I've ever done to understand my bass guitar.

JimW

Luke19Boarder, Kikegg, Kombo and 21 others like this.
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Pics please.
    You know the rules - no pics - no upgraded bass :smug:

Curious of what you have there..

azapistagyerek and shawshank72 like this.
  3. BuzzyJames

BuzzyJames

Feb 2, 2017
    I didn't know the rules

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Congrats!
    It's the only way to go.

5. BuzzyJames

BuzzyJames

Feb 2, 2017
    Here it is
    20170128_175032.

6. BuzzyJames

BuzzyJames

Feb 2, 2017
    I don't know why the strings look weird. They're Lakeland flatwounds

7. Hammerfield

Hammerfield

Aug 1, 2016
    Argentina
    Now some audio! Nice bass, i was thinking to do same to my Cort gb74, but in my country the mics and miscellaneous are more expensive!

8. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Congrats Dude. Looks Great. I saw a YouTube vid with a guy who used a tone styler to dress up his Dimarzios. It really gave it a new tonal palate. You should check it out.

9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Nice.
    The red on red with rosewood looks great

Craig Webber and btmpancake like this.
  10. BuzzyJames

BuzzyJames

Feb 2, 2017
    Thanks

11. BuzzyJames

BuzzyJames

Feb 2, 2017
    I don't know what a tone styler is. I'm putting an orange drop .047 cap with new CTS pots next week. That will complete the restoration for now. Maybe tuning keys with a drop down D eventually.

12. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Nice bass!...The decision to upgrade has pros, and cons, if you plan to sell it someday, you'll lose on the upgrades, but if you really like the finished bass, there's no reason not to. My main player was relatively inexpensive, I have spent twice the cost, just on upgrades, I haven't changed anything in 5 years, I still love it, it was well worth it to me.

13. BuzzyJames

BuzzyJames

Feb 2, 2017
    I will never sell this bass. It's the first bass I ever had. I have a Yamaha and Ibanez also. I find myself going to my upgraded P bass.
    As I said in my first posting, rebuilding gives you a different perspective on your guitar. It did for me.

jamro217 and hopwheels like this.
  14. My go-to unit for 6-string gigs is a modded Affinity Tele. Bought it because of the stupid-fast neck, then installed GFS twin-blade humbuckers and a BWB pickguard. I have under $200 in the whole thing and it's a real workhorse. I'm currently finishing up a similar endeavor with a no-name Jazz Bass. Have swapped in an Affinity Precision neck (took a while to find "the one") and somebody already installed some really hot pickups in the body. Just hafta tidy up some minor setup issues and we're good to go:)

huskerdrew88 likes this.
  15. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Nice! I'm thinking about the DiMarzio in my used Squier P bass as well.
    Currently installing new pots and cap. Tried a cheap Chines pickguard, but it didn't cover the routes.
    How do you like the bridge? Looks killer.

16. LAST_C

LAST_C

Apr 26, 2013
    California
    Looks fantastic! I also believe upgrading a bass or just changing the looks makes it more yours, more personal. You did a good job there!

17. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Just a little advice regarding the new holes on the pickguard. Fill the old ones with toothpicks and some wood glue and then redrill the new ones. Looks great!

18. BuzzyJames

BuzzyJames

Feb 2, 2017
    Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice. Regarding the bridge....yeah it's killer all right...probably overkill for me but it gives a very rich tone and sustain.

19. GnarwhalNick

GnarwhalNick

Jan 18, 2011
    Buzzy, congrats on loving your mod! I'm with you on never selling my first bass, I too have an Affinity P that I still use to this day after some mods. To be honest, even before the mods I would have been lucky to get $100 for it lol so I'm not too worried about resale at all.

I also agree on your point that modding it and going under the "hood" (pick guard) helps you learn the instrument. I know my bass like the back of my hand now. I replaced the pickups and the pick guard, and tomorrow I'm doing my first mod in years so I'm excited to get back into it.

20. Excellent. Very nice job!!