Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgraded to EMG-40DCs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RevGroove, Aug 21, 2003.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Just got my bass back from the tech today. In addition to a set up and intonation using D'Addario Slowound strings (.45-.130, with a tapered B string), I swapped out the EMG-40HZ's and had EMG-DC40's installed as previously planned and posted. I decided to keep the BTS rather than opt for replacing it with the BQS (Ace, thanks for your input there!)

Straight from the tech to the rehearsal studio with the current project I'm working on, Matisse and the Playground (shameless plug: those in the GTA, ON should come check us out tonite and next Thursday at the Gypsy Co-op in Toronto, 815 Queen St. W...but I digress...) I played through my "rehearsal rig", an SWR WM 4004 amp through the WM 2x10.

The difference in tone/sound was readily apparent!

My bass sounds like I traded it in and bought a $5000 bass! Keep in mind that I'm running the active pickups and electronics at 18v and not the usual 9v as well. (The strings sound pretty bright but they're new; I'll spank them hard during the day to get them ready for tonight's show.) I'll be playing with the same head (plus compressor and subharmonic synth in the loop)
    through a SWR Goliath III 4 ohm cabinet. I'm not sure when I'm on the schedule next to play at church, but I'm looking forward to that as well!

The only negative is that the volume pots had to be changed from the 500k pots from the HZ set to the 250k volume pots that came with the DCs, and the old knobs don't fit! I "borrowed" a set off of a bass we're having trouble selling at my store (a fairly nice Godin BG 4), but I have to order a set to replace them.

Best idea I've had in ages...I doubt my NS2000Q5 will see much action in the near future...at least until I modify that one with an EMG-40P5 and EMG-40J in the neck and bridge positions respectively...but that's another story...

FS: A pair of EMG 40HZs, slightly worn...BO wins!

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Interesting! I have a Spector NS5CR - with DC40s and a REX2000/5 with Hzs. I have thought often about upgrading the pickups, but decided that I'd leave it as is - cost for benefit doesn't seem worth it in my mind. Plus I plan 2 different uses for the basses!

The Czech will be used for recording, the REX for gigging!

I also run them at 18v - now that was a cheap mod well worth doing! And I played with th edip switches on the pre-amp to see whih sound I liked better!

Out of curiosity how much did the upgrade cost you???

3. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, the labour is going to cost me about $100 after I get billed...that's including the setup and intonation that was done at the same time (pick up replacement usually runs $25 each, plus 15% tx on top of that...)

The pickups themselves usually retail for $136+tax each...but I got a staff discount, so I paid a little less than that!

I'm still playing with the idea of whether to leave my NS2000Q5 stock so I have a bass with passive pickups for a different sound, or if I want to put a different set of EMGz in there as stated in my original post...We'll see...I may use the "passive" bass on a gig this weekend...but so far, the "active" bass did killer on my gig last Thursday...we'll just have to see!:bassist:

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Hey Rev.......
    I had 40DC's fitted into my Yamaha BB5000AF a few years ago and was considering the BQS for it. I'm curious as to why you like the BTS better, as I'm going to make a move on a pre soon.
    Thanks. :cool:

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, for one, I didn't have to modify my bass (as in drill an extra hole) to accomadate a stacked 5th control knob.

Also, research (private poll I conducted...say, I should do one here on talkbass, eh?) showed that for live playing (which is the main use of this bass), the BTS was a better fit...if I do modify the second bass, it will also get the BQC, and that will be my "studio bass". I played an EMG BQS in a Modulus bass at the store, and it sounded okay...but I preferred the BTS I already had, that's all. Good luck, happy hunting!

6. hey revgroove

Im just about to upgrade my 5sting with a emg bqc preamp and emg pickups. on another thread someone recommended combining the DC and CS pu's in bridge and neck positions with a resistor switch on the CS because of its extra output.

did u check out the CS pus when getting the DC's? any info that you may have about their tone would be greatly appreciated. i live in australia - that means itll cost AU$600 and its hard to justify without getting a chance to listen to a bass with them already installed.

thanks

7. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I was it that told you about combining the CS AND J pu's (not the DC and CS pu's). The DC and CS pickups sound very similar and have almost the same output. But I would say that the DC's are a bit more agressive and have a bit more bite in the highs. The CS's though sound more vintage (I like these better).

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    What Arjan said...I was going for the more modern tone, so that's why I opted for the DCs...but the CSs may be another option for my Q5...decisions, decisions! :eek:

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That's almost the same setup I have in my Yamaha, except I use 45DC with 18V, and I use an EXB instead of a traditional EQ. I also use Slowounds.
    The only thing I would like to try someday is to replace the neck pickup with a P45, but since the EMG pickups have a plug style connector, it would be easy to go back and forth as I see fit. KInd of like having two basses that will fit into one gig bag.

:eek:

10. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Yeah, tubass is right about these cool connectors with the emg pu's. My 4-string normaly will have a CS in the bridge and a J in the neck position. But since I have two of these J pu's I can put both in whenever I want (great that EMG makes all these pickups in the same rectangular shape).
    I wonder why no other company has such a system, it's great!:bassist:

11. Just talked to the guy changing the pu's for me. He said i'll have to wait 3 or 4 weeks for a shipment if i want the CS pu's. He said the combo that he usually installs - and what most people get, is the p40's and DC's in neck and bridge.
    Are the CS and p40 alike at all? Is it worth waiting?
    I havent heard many 5-stings with a p pu before. A part of the reason why im changing the pu's in the first place is the crappy sounding B string.

12. I'll be switching out the HZ's in my REX 2000/5 for a 40P5 in the neck and a 40DC in the bridge in the next few weeks. I thought I'd have to solder stuff, but apparently the HZ pickups use the quick connect plugs, so I can just plug the active EMG's right in?

As for the pots, you can use the old 500K ones, but they aren't very linear taper - they act almost like switches. This is fine for me as I only ever turn pickups on and off with my volume controls. I'll also replace the input jack on my bass with the one EMG supplies, my current one is a little battered.

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Yes, these are true "plug 'n play Pickups!!!

While the 500K pots may be useable, here's a direct quote from EMG: The controls included with EMG Systems are 25K Ohm, Audio Taper. This Value of control is required for the system to work correctly

If you just want to switch off and on, I guess 500K pots are okay...but if you want to mix and match volume levels, I'd say stick with the 25K pots.

14. Touche;):

Use the high impedence (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedence controls act more like a switch to the EMG's.

I really can't be bothered finding new knobs for the 25K pots. Switching on and off will suit me better. If I had a blend pot it would be a different story though, I never did like the two volume setups...

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hey, whatever works for you man! Finding the knobs aren't too difficult though...I'll have to look around for the make and model I ended up with but when I find it I'll post it!:D

16. Man I can't believe this thread was at the top of the forum this morning, I had just logged on to do a search for this very topic.

I'm going to drop new pups in my Rex 2000/5 as well.

So ... thanks!

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    You won't regret it man, trust me...KILLER sound! Make sure you upgrade to 18v (2x1 nine volt batteries) in series for the maximum benefit!

18. Thats already been done.

The volume pot issue confuses me a bit .... I run both my pickups full on all the time anyhow, but surely I want the "system to work correctly." So I'm interested in PanteraFan's outcome.

Or I'll just get new knobs :D

Actually I've been flirting with adding an OBP-1 as well to have the same setup as my Czechtor - but that would involve labor at a shop as that much soldering is beyond my skillz. But I've just found a new setup/luthier guy in town and I may just go all out with it.

19. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Okay, if you go with the 25k pots, your stock knobs aren't going to sit on the shaft cuz it's thicker...so you'd have to get different knobs if you made the switch to 25k pots...wasn't a big deal for me. I like to adjust the volume of each pickup for different sounds, so that's why I decided to go with EMG's reccomendations...but if like PanteraFan all you want to do is turn them off and on, the original pots should be fine.

20. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Finally found the receipt for those knobs! The manufacturer is "WD" and the model number is "BBKB-2", Model Description is WD Brass Dome Knob Black. They fit over the shafts nicely...I paid $16.50 Can. plus taxes for my set.