Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgradeing basses, looking for guidence

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScarletShroud, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ScarletShroud

ScarletShroud

Apr 26, 2005
    Backgroud-
    Hello Im Kevin, I'm the singer-bassist of a band called the Scarlet Shroud. I hold myself on a higher level than kids my age because I understand music in a way not many do. Im first chair bass in a pretty good orchestra. I currently own a double bass and an electric bass.
    Question-
    I'm kind of in a hurry to buy some new equipment. Namely an electric bass. Honastly I slap better on my double bass than my electric bass...its sad...Well I want to spend around 300 dollars i know i can get something pretty decent with that much but not spectacular. Bassically meeting my needs. The brands ive herd were the best for my pricerange are warwick and washburn. Alot of metal bands are useing dean also. Ive played around on them and personally of those I like the washburn.

What I'm asking is given my situation is there any low to mid level basses that I should look at.

I dont know jack about electric bass makes exept that i know what feels comfertable, a 4 string fretless with frett lines and emg pickups. Unfortunally that I think is out of my price range.

Please give me some feedback i have to make a decision by thursday

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hi Kevin - I would recommend checking out an MTD Kingston (the passive version), which can be had in your price range. They are very well made basses and they are quite good for slap. You may have to go with a used one, but I've seen new ones listed at around $300.00 on sale.

Speaking of which, don't rule out a used bass. If you spot one that you like in a store, check into it and, if possible, solicit some help from a friend/acquaintance who may have more experience with electric basses. They can check it out with you and look for issues, etc.

Oh, and being a better slapper on upright is nothing to be sorry about, man! I wish I could slap on upright (hell, I wish I could even play the upright, but that will have to wait).

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Yea an MTD kingston is a really good choice , awesome bass better than many high end basses IMO and I think its only like $400. Also I think you where a little bit misinformed with Warwicks being in your price range , like the cheapest you can get one new is like $1000 give or take

4. For about 50 bucks more, you can pick up a new MIM Fender. Plus, it's simple to customize, and you can easily upgrade the pickups in em too.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Um, I don't know how good SX's are for slapping, but...you can get a lined fretless 4 string and then drop in EMG's afterwards and probably still be under your $300 limit...

6. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Fresno!
    never played a kingston, but that seems like a good recomendation based on the reviews ive heard.
    i'd personally shy away from warwicks until you can afford the higher dollar models.
    In my opinion some of the Made In Mexico (MIM) Jazz basses i have played have a great tone and playability (if set up correctly). I owned a fretless MIM jazz for a few years and it had a woody, upright-like sound (being fretless and all). A fretted version should be able to get a good rock tone.

maybe you could try a few MIM jazzes? try a few of them because despite being made in a factory, the quality on each individual bass just aint the same :rolleyes:

7. ScarletShroud

ScarletShroud

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks alot guys ill take that into consideration. BTW slapping on a stand up is easy, take into consideration its size, just get an adjustable bridge and set it very low youll have to slap over the fingerboard. Setting your bridge low when useing a bow will cause this nasty buzz that will annoy the living heck out of you, but slap is cooler anyway...

Thanks alot guys. And about your used thing. The thing is i have to buy it from a store becuase of a certain deal i would recieve otherwise i would buy it from my friends dad. He makes amazing basses

8. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    The Kingston is a good buy, for the money you would be pretty hard pressed to find a better one.
    IMO, there's no Warwicks worth having that are under $1500. Me thinks you've been misled.
    Stay away from those crappy MIJ 'Rockbass' things.
    They aren't really bad but they start to grow problems guickly. Pickups are horrible, neck ALWAYS needs to be adjusted, worst neck dive I've ever experienced. The low end s***s,.... and on and on..

I'd really look into a MIM Fender Jazz, as other have suggested.
    But take all the advice here and play as many of them as you can before you pick one up. The quality varies from bass to bass. Whats nice though is after you have it you can upgrade the pickups for relatively little money and you'll have an amazing sounding bass.

Also.. what make is your Double Bass?
    I started out much like you did when I was 12 in JR. High, but regretfully stoped playing one about 6 years ago and only play electric now. Just curious is all.

*edit*
    I personally would stay away from washburn and dean.
    While some of them are cheap, they just aren't worth the money.
    You could build one from yourself from particle board and plastic and it would sound and play better.
    Just my opinion though for those who play and like them. :bag:

9. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    You obviously haven't really owned or spent any time with any Warwicks. I own a Thumb 4 NT, a Vampyre LTD 4 and a Rockbass Fortress 4. They're all awesome basses. :bassist:

No Warwicks worth having under $1,500? What about the Corvette Standard or DoubleBuck? :rolleyes:

I haven't had any problems with any of them. I don't see why you call the Rockbasses crappy. My Fortress is awesome. I haven't had any problems with it. I've been playing it quite a lot since I got it in September of last year.

The necks ALWAYS need to be adjusted? Give me a break... I have yet to adjust the neck on my Fortress. It's straight like an arrow.

I personally really like MEC pickups/BEC preamps and I plan to keep my basses stock. I haven't experienced any neck dive with any of them, not even my Thumb 4.

The last comment you made, "the low end s***s,.... and on and on..." suggests that you really haven't really tried any of these basses. :eyebrow:

10. ScarletShroud

ScarletShroud

Apr 26, 2005
    I dont know off hand it was baught from a lady who made them in southern africa and shipped over seas, its not amazing. but i'm not shure when your talking about pickups whats "cheep" you can get a nice emg for 100$, to me thats expensive.

11. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Fresno!
    hey now! i think form 52 was only referring to the rockbass models. The corvette line and up are a much higher price and quality level IMO. :bassist:
    i don't think he was outright warwick bashing :crying:

12. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Fresno!
    shroud, i used to think that pickups were expensive, but in a few years things change, and maybe you will get a job where pickups and a gold plated bridge seem like they cost almost nothing.
    And putting a nice set of pickups in a bass is an investment because someday you can take those pickups out of the old bass and put them in a new one. If you go with a jazz type bass it will be easy to swap out pickups, tuners, and bridge to get a great sounding and playing bass.

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    He said any Warwick under $1500 was not worth having.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    There are better instruments to be had for that price range -- especially used. A nice used Cirrus, FBass, Nordstrand, etc., will all run you about that price (I've even seen a TB'er get an FBass in great shape for $1000!) so in reality, he's pretty much right. If you've got that kind of cash, then unless you *have* to have the signature Warwick sound, there's no point when there are so many instruments of better quality around for a comparable price (if not lower.)

To the original poster -- I like someone's idea of getting an SX and putting in EMG's. Under $300 new, and by all accounts, the SX's are great basses for the price.

15. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Well.. I wasn't trying to start a fight over the quality of the rockbass.

In my opinion any Schecter or Ibanez in the same price range of the Rockbass is better. Not saying they completely bl*w, but in the price range you can do much better.

And don't jump to conclusions about what I have and haven't played. I have a 5 string Corvette Pro, a 6 string neck-thru Thumb and in the next few months I'm planning on getting a 6 string Streamer Stage 1.

I have played 3 different Rockbass models. The streamer, corvette SE, and vampyre. At one time a couple years ago I owned the streamer and Corvette SE. I happily dumped them both off a bridge when I got my 6 string Thumb. I like my Ibanez BTB WAY better. Far superior sound and playability.
    It is possible that I just had a couple of bad ones, but to me the fact that two of them had many of the same problems, it was enough to turn me off to them.
    I'm all tingly inside knowing that yours is problem free.

I'm just not a fan of the corvette standard for some reason.
    And I don't play 4 strings anymore ('cept my fretless J-bass, that's the only exception) And sense those are the only ones under $1500 then yes... there are no Warwicks under $1500 that are worth it in My Opinion. For Under $1500 you can do MUCH better.

Plenty have taken shots at Ibanez and other brands I like in here, but I don't get all bent out of shape over it. Sorry to have offended the Rockbassers. There's really no need to attack someone you may disagree with. Wouldn't it have been easier and seemed more mature to have plainly said...
    "hmm I don't know man. I have Rockbass X and really like it... here's why...."
    I'm not attacking you for liking them. There are plently of basses I like that others may not, and vice versa.. but that's what's great about TB, 'most' of us understand that there are differences in opinions and likes and dislikes and don't feel the need to attack someone if they disagree with yours.

Keep rockin lil rocker

16. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Maybe if you're talking new prices perhaps. But if you're spending money on a new Warwick you're nuts in the first place (unless buying the expensive models. Thumb NT, Streamer SII etc)

However used is a lot different story. I bought a corvette standard 5 twice and it cost me about 750-800 for them. They don't quite have the same sound as the thumb, but they are excellent basses in their own. I agree with the Cirrus as well. I had one and it was a great bass, but I just wasn't happy with the sound of the maple/alder one I had. As far as the Fbass and Nordstrand etc go, I think you'd be really hard pressed to find them below 1500 at all. When their going for 2500+ at least for the lowest end models it's going to be difficult to find them fo sale at all because they are truly custom basses, and then to find them cheap could take a long time.

17. ScarletShroud

ScarletShroud

Apr 26, 2005
    OK. I'm going tomarrow to check out basses and hopefully buy one, Im just going to play every one in my price range and a few out of it and see what feels good and sounds good. whatever one wins i guess ill buy. If you could just tell me a few names of makers for me to look at, you know who makes good basses in the 300 dollar range. Thanks alot

18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    300 range.......Yamaha RB series, Fender Squires, Ibanez gsr200 or maybe even an sr 300 to name a few models. Look around, try em out and see what appeals to you in terms of sound and comfort.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've seen them go that low used more than once...the 2500+ is for their lowest models new, and custom basses always take a huge hit when you're selling after buying new. It could take a while, yes, but the For Sale forum on here is a great way to find boutique basses at good prices.

As for buying Warwicks new/used -- I totally agree...but (for whatever reason) there are still people who buy the cheaper ones new. Oh well -- that means more for the used market for the rest of us ;).