1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Upgrades, Extras: Spector Legend 5 Classic, Passive Conversion, Orange

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Riff Ranger, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Price:
    $434
    Strings:
    The distinctive look, feel, and sound of a Spector 5-string bass in an affordable package with some upgrades and extras:

4014B325-A095-422D-8252-A7A1B2F70DDF.jpeg

Lace Alumitone pickups installed; stock SSD pickups included

Passive conversion; rewired master volume/blend/neck tone (push-pull for coil split)/bridge tone (push-pull for coil split); original Tone Pump Jr preamp (no trim pot) included

Minor scrapes and dings on headstock (pictured), one tuning machine replaced, great overall condition

Schaller strap locks installed; original oversized buttons included

RightOn! Bassman vegan strap w/Spector Logo (tiny bit of solder on it, pictured; otherwise like new)

Like new Gator gig bag

Easily the best-looking, best-playing, most-comfortable instrument I have ever owned; as you might guess from the upgrades and extras, I thought this would be *the one* for me. So why am I selling? It turns out I’m a P bass guy, and that’s one thing this Spector doesn’t do.

If you need to know more, I check messages daily and will do my best to answer your questions.

Willing to trade locally for a 1x15, 2x10, or 2x12 cab of similar value. Willing to ship; PM to figure that out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Dincrest, mingustoo and NigelD like this.
  2. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    String spacing?

3. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Good enough for Wayman Tisdale, I bet, haha. I will measure when I get home; I don't think the Spector website provides these details.

4. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I happily stand corrected: looks like 1.75" at the nut, and .66" between strings at the bridge.

5. djasterix

djasterix

Jan 1, 2012
    Lima, Peru
    Wow, just beautiful, and packed with really nice upgrades. Any chance you ship it int’l?

6. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I haven’t shipped internationally before but I can look into it next week (a national holiday here in the USA will prevent me from doing much until next Tuesday). Hopefully shipping doesn’t cost more than the instrument!

7. djasterix

djasterix

Jan 1, 2012
    Lima, Peru
    Great, hopefully it turns out to be reasonable. Thanks!

8. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I looked into it and the estimated cost of shipping alone comes to 555 USD, i.e. more than the cost of the instrument and associated items put together. If you have about 1,000 USD to spend on this and really want it, I will try to figure out how to get it to you in Peru, but it seems that Reverb can't help us much on shipping. You might as well fly here and get it yourself at that rate! Let me know if you want to do that; I do have a spare room, haha.

9. djasterix

djasterix

Jan 1, 2012
    Lima, Peru
    WOW!! That’s really expensive shipping... Don’t have much luck over this latitudes, but if someone around here travel to the US and will be so kind to take it for me, I’ll let you know. Thank you!

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    Behind you!
    Cool bass! A passive "de-active-ated" Spector 5-string intrigues me.

If I...
    -Hadn't already pulled the trigger on a Spector 5er from a local TBer this week
    -Lived closer to you
    -Had a few Benjamins lying around, and
    -needed a backup for the Spector I'm soon to pick up

I'd be interested in this big time.

Well, at least you get a bump and a GLWTS from me.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  11. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I might still have it when a few of those ifs go poof. Glad you got a Spector 5. Even though I'm not getting my sound out of it, I still think this instrument looks and feels at least as good as any instrument I've ever owned. I don't mind having it around; I just don't reach for it very often.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Dincrest likes this.
  12. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Oh, and I kept all the parts to "reactivate" if anybody's so inclined.

13. Outshined91

Outshined91 Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
    Call me a beginner, but I have never played a Spector bass. Can you get jazz and rock tones out of this?

14. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I will link to a video of me playing reeeally sloppy but giving an idea of several possible tones. I have always played metal and wondered why so many rock and metal players (including some of your favorite ‘90s players like Mike Starr from Alice In Chains, Rex Brown from Pantera, and Eddie Jackson from Queensrÿche) went with these round knobby Spector things; when I played one that @somebrains had on hand, I finally understood. It turns out I am almost strictly a Precision Bass person, and that’s one tone this instrument really doesn’t do, but it covers a lot of sonic territory. The way I have it wired now, it reminds me of the Thunderbird I used to have.

Outshined91 likes this.
  15. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Outshined91 likes this.
  16. Outshined91

Outshined91 Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
    Thanks! I wouldn't say its sloppy - it's hard for many people to play without much light on :D

I do really like the double single-coil tone knob rolled off vibe, and liked the metal tones. Cannot buy right now but PM sent so as to not clutter up the thread for people with MRN (money right now).

17. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Now willing to trade locally for a 1x15, 2x10, or 2x12 cab of similar value.

18. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Great looking Legend! Do you know the weight?

19. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I don't have a scale, but the Spector website says a stock one comes in around 9 pounds even, which is hard to believe. It felt lighter than that even before I removed the stock pickups and preamp, but according to Lace, switching to Alumitones shaves off 1/3 pound, so this one probably comes in closer to 8.5. I hope that's helpful. It's easily the most comfortable bass I've ever owned.

anton72 likes this.
  20. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Thanks! In case with all Spector basses (I’ve owned quite a lot) they all vary in weight rather dramatic regardless of what their website says, so I just wanted to make sure.