Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgrades for MIA P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by razorbakc, Feb 10, 2002.

1. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    Just wondering if theres anything worth upgrading on a p-bass? Or should I leave all the stck parts?

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I like the stock parts on my p-bass. The only thing i've thought about changing was adding a FAAS pick-up system.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The only thing I added to my '97 was a push-pull volume pot that works as an all-controls bypass, and a tortise shell pickguard. Did that the day that I bought it and haven't done anything since... No need to IMO

-robert

4. I agree. A P-Bass is what it is. I was going through my pile of old parts and found a set of P-Bass pickups from a "P" I bought used in '78. They must have been mid seventies or earlier. I installed them in my '97 MIA "P" and I absolutely love the midrangey and earthy tone. I have a set of Barts waiting to go but I can't pull the vintage pickups out. They sound too good! Leave the "P" alone unless you make it more "P".

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Whatever you do, don't change the pickups. The pickups that come stock in the MIA P basses are probably the best sounding ones out there. So don't think that buying some Seymour Duncans or EMGs are gonna make it sound better. Although, those Quarter Pounder pickups do look pretty cool :D They just dont sound as good.

The only things that I would change would be put on a Badass II bridge and put on a controls bypass switch like rllefebv described.

6. Where did you get the pot, and do you have a part number for it?

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I used the 500K Ohm one from Stewart MacDonald , (#1216)... I believe that they even have intructions posted on their site for making the mod.

HTH,
    -robert

8. Listen to lo-end!!! I`ve expearimented with a few modded P`s and nothing sounded as nice(to me)as the stock mia P pup!Hey,if it aint broken...lol

The only mods I plan on my `98 P are as follows:

Strings(does this count?)

White pearloid picguard

Straploks(or a similar more secure strap holding system)

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Let me tell you what I just thought of!

If you're like me, you only use the controls on full open (tone knob and volume knob up full) so there's no need to have them in the circuit. My idea is wiring my Precision bass to have the controls permanently bypassed, but keep the knobs on there as dummies to keep the P Bass look happening. What a great idea I just had! Can someone give me a schematic for this? It shouldnt be hard to reverse this mod since its just soldering and I will be keeping all the potentiometers and other electronics inside the bass. They will just be taken out of the loop, so to speak.

10. just so im educated, what advantage is there in bypassing the controls? would it just be to make sure your never turned down by accident or something? also, ive read several posts related to the badassII bridge. many say that the mia bridge gives more sustain. its only considered an upgrade for mexican made.

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Bypassing the controls allows the pickup to speak directly to the output jack without any loading from the potentiometers. Even when your controls are turned fully up, there is still 'some' filtering, or loading, between the pickup and your output jack. Bypassing the controls eliminates this and allows the full true tone to come through. The difference is not earthshaking, but it's there and noticeable... More volume and high-end when bypassed.

lo-end, you can wire the 'hot' from your pickup to the 'hot' on the output jack, and the ground from your pickup to the ground lug. I had my J-Bass wired like this for about a year, but it gets to be a hassle unplugging your bass whenever you take a break at a gig! It's also a pain when you do want to use your tone or volume... Ya can't!! I latched onto the push-pull pot, and I ain't changin'!!!

-robert

12. I generally leave my tone pot at about 1/2-3/4.Only because any higher sounds too tinny and I pick up tons of finger noise.I`ve tried adjusting for this at my amp but have yet to find anything that works well enough.I believe when I get the ampeg b2r up and running(need a cab)I will be able to dial in the sound I want.

13. Why is it a pain unplugging your bass when the controls are bypassed?

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    He isn't saying that its a pain unplugging your bass when the controls are bypassed.

He's saying that when they're bypassed you can't turn your vol knob down when you dont want to be heard. You have to unplug the bass instead, and this is a pain to have to do. You dont have the conveinence of turning that little knob down anymore when you're taking a break at a gig.

Thank God for my SVT-4's mute switch! :cool: :D

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    'Zactly... Thanks lo-end :)

-robert

16. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had a MIJ P for a while, and tried various pickups in it. Ended up with one from an American Standard P. I tried a Badass II bridge. I put the stocker back on.

Now I have a bone stock American Standard, and it's great the way it is. I like the "bent steel" bridge, I like the pickup, I like the volume and tone controls.

Still, there are probably more mods on the market for Fenders than anything else, and maybe you'll like one or more of them. I don't think my P needs any.

17. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California

18. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Us pick players don't need no stankin sustain! The Badass II bridges give you that great punch! Thats what its all about :D

What about putting new tuners on a American Precision? I know they can be neck-heavy with those graphite neck reinforcements...

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Send me the old tuners if you dont want them.

20. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Well,lo-end,once again I have been edumacated:D