Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading 9Volt preamp to 18Volt (Fender)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ampig, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I'm getting ready to purchase a 1996 Fender American Deluxe Precision. It has the old 9 volt preamp. I've heard that the 18 volt preamps are better sounding. What's involved in doing an upgrade?

2. I'm not sure where that bass has the battery (if it's a box or if it's inside the control cavity), but I'm assuming that you would have to make room for the additional battery (most likely that would mean some routing). I wouldn't do that on a new instrument. Whoever told you that an 18v 'sounds' better than a 9v is making a very misleading remark. The only difference (all other things being the same) between a 9v and 18v is the latter has more headroom (how much louder the pickups can get before the preamp overloads and distorts). This isn't likely to be a problem with that bass, so unless you're going to completely replace the preamp, I'd say the bass will just seem 'louder'. My opinion.