Upgrading a 5 String MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fiset, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Okay so I'm about to embark on a little adventure doing something I've never done - namely taking a stock instrument and modding/upgrading it. I'm buying a MIM 5-string Fender Jazz because I've got a line on one for next to nothing and I suffer from GAS in a big way! So in other words, I don't need this bass, but I'm getting it anyway.

I've got a Geddy 4-string that I love so right away I know I want to swap the bridge for a Badass or something similar. I've been checking around and can't seem to find a Badass for a 5-string. So first question....bridge recommendations? I'm mostly interested in killer sustain.

I don't have any experience with MIM pick-ups....so should I replace whats there?

Other upgrades I should consider?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Hi Lucas - I did exactly this about a year ago with awesome results.
    Firstly check this link - probably the only way you will get a BA V bridge. I dont think they are being made any more...
    http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/?_...sid=p3910.m570.l1313&_nkw=leo+quan&_sacat=619
    I replaced the stock pickups with Bart J's (cant remember which model exactly) and the preamp with a John East J-Retro(both from www.bestbassgear.com). You will be in awe of the tone and output available with this combo. Let me know if you do this how it ends up!

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This is where I'm going too. I love absolutely everything about my MIM V except the pickups. I love the lack of Hum in the MIM pups but the tone is not quite there. I love the EQ values on the stock preamp too, but it also has a few issues. I'm not a big fan of bridge changes but it would complete the job. Note that I put a copper foil shield job in mine too. The bass is shielded but I found that is still had slight hum leakage from somewhere and a copper foil job made it perfect!

Yes I DO have to put in some dual coil Bart Js one of these days. I doubt I'll fork out for a J-retro, but an Audere might be nice...

4. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Thanks guys...this definitely gets me started!

5. Also one thing I failed to mention - the Barts and J Retro require absolutely no modding, routing. They drop straight in. The battery for the preamp fits under the metal control plate that is a perfect fit for the standard fender one. Let me know if you want to see pics - I can email them.
    I would also recommend www.bestbassgear.com if you are buying them new - Brian's prices are great and he gets the stuff out pretty quick!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021