1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading a cheap bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paulabass, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I bought a Dean C-Zone shocking pink (even the fingerboard is BRIGHT pink) P style bass. I want to turn it into a pro-player just for our disco and funk set (think Bootsy!)
    I want to drop in a passive pickup, new tuners, bridge, and pots/output jack (yes, I'm polishing a turd, but for a reason). I don't want top of the line, trying to keep it budget conscious, but it has to stay together thru professional use.
    What's your ideal mods in middle price parts? Preferrably all from one supplier ie Allparts, or Bestbass.
    Don't recommend strings, it's getting pink DR's
    Pickup with nice crisp upper mids for those funk 'pops'.
    I like a cast bridge.
    Enclosed tuners
    Budget-$250-300
    Please don't say 'just buy a better bass' I want the flourescent pink.
    Also thinking a glitter pick guard- yes or no?

IMG_0537.JPG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    MrLenny1, covermego, B-Mac and 7 others like this.
  2. Wilkinson. High quality, budget level. They make pickups, bridges and tuners. Theyre all over ebay, and most sellers post measurements .

JACink, ppiluk, dBChad and 5 others like this.
  3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Don’t have any parts to recommend but wanted to “HELL YES” on the glitter pickguard.

St_G, Remoman, christopea and 13 others like this.
  4. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^^ Yeah, they skipped my mind. Good mid-priced stuff. Thanks!

5. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Wait until you get it and play it, see what is deficient and replace those parts. I bought a Squier Short scale Jag bass with the intention of changing a bunch of components. The darn thing was good enough as purchased, no mods needed.

gebass6, salcott, gepettus and 12 others like this.
  6. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ Yeah that's good advice. I'm going on reviews that say tuners snap off in your hands, the pots will be crap, and I'm fairly certain the p/u will be junk. It's arriving monday, before I order any parts anyway.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    I have the same bass in yellow, the stock pickup is a solid performer. I upgraded the bridge. The rest of the hardware is fine.

pudge, ObsessiveArcher and saabfender like this.
  8. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ That's optimistic, thanks!

patrickj likes this.
  9. I’m of the opinion that unless you are a gorilla playing the excercise yard of a max security prison, most any bass that stays in tune and generates a decent tone is gig-worthy. So my advice echoes the above - get it in hand, play it, and see what it really needs. But yes for sure put a glitter pick guard on that mo-fo !!!!!

10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Baby blue glitter or purple glitter. Might as well be loud!

MTN.bass72, equill and wmmj like this.
  11. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    If you're replacing the pots and pups in one go, EMGs GZR P will include all the electronics with quick connect hardware. The GZR P was designed to be as close to a vintage Fender pup as possible

diegom, ppiluk, C_Becker and 7 others like this.
  12. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Poke four holes in it for a string-thru bridge.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  13. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

I might be getting my neon Dean basses mixed up, but I'm pretty sure that the pickups in these are highly regarded around here.

14. Are you sure? My initial thought would be that the pink-on-pink would be too much pink to be able to tell that they’re colored strings from a distance.

Maybe a different color to make it stand out more? Gold? Purple?

4 Out of 5 and Fumble Fingers like this.
  15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    saabfender likes this.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My brother has a Dean brass body resonator guitar and the stock hardware has been doing fine for more than 25 years through constant open tuning changes.

17. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Absolutely, if you want it to be "Bootsylicious"!

18. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    All you need to do is swap the pickups and shield it

19. On the pup front, don't Dimarzio make a drop-in with enhanced clarity and top? A search on their site suggests the Split P....

20. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Gotoh tuners, Gotoh 201b bridge, EMG geezer butler pickups/electronics.

That will make it a pro package I’ve personally used all these components in the past and can attest to their quality.