1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading A Fender Rumble 75 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Linnin, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    LOVE!

LOVE!

LOVE!

What I've done to lightly modify/upgrade my Fender Rumble 75

:)

Photos and descriptions to follow :hyper:

DenverontheOne likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Just great! Photobucket is down. OK, I'll just come back later.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    It all began innocently enough. I needed a decent practice amp - not too small - good tone - affordable price. I bought a Fender Rumble 75

010p1_zps9da0edc2.jpg

I was very pleasently surprized by how good this little bass amp was.

This is how the trouble started....

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I came to adore my Rumble 75 and wrote many glowing reviews, but after a year of daily practice & jam sessions...I wanted...MORE!

So I decided to upgrade the woofer, and chose an Eminence BassLite S2012

005p1_zpse8f4c7a6.jpg

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    So out with the old Fender Special Design 12" woofer

012p1_zpsd66b06fb.jpg

014p1_zps4eb2f537.jpg

This is actually quite a good sounding speaker for a stock woofer at a low $$ price point. It is widely suspicioned that Fender's Special Design speakers are made by Eminence at their facility in China.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Most speaker cabinets are unlined, so some sonic dressing is necessary.

015p1_zps8e11cb12.jpg

I decided to go with Sonic Barrier acoustic foam. It's good stuff.

003p1_zpsf041aa4f.jpg

1 1/4" composite on the back panel, and 1/2" on the sides, floor remained naked.

022p1_zpsc4d7a23c.jpg

Exploiter8 likes this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Eminence BassLite S2012: 4oz. Neodymium Magnet & 2" Voice Coil

008_zpsf1bbe12d.jpg

Installed

023_zps26e0a484.jpg

:) :cool: :)

Sounds Super-Fantastic & Lovin' It!

8. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    Sound clips?

I had a Rumble 75 for a while and really liked it. I sold it to help fund an amp head and cab that I wanted to buy. My only issue with it was that it was pretty awkward to carry due to its shape.

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No Devil, I don't have a mic good enough to accurately capture how much better my Rumble 75 sounds. Besides, I'm an old analog man in new digital world. ;)

Yes, it is a royal P.I.T.A. to take anywhere.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The basslite is one superb speaker....about as good as you'll ever get out of that combo.

bassplayer65 likes this.
  11. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    I commend you for skipping clips; think they're overvalued here. But I would be interested in more detail regarding how the sound changed with the Basslite.

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    First, lining the cab with Sonic Barrier really tightened up the total sound output, but especially so in the bottom end and low mids. Also made the combo sound 'bigger' with more punch/umph, if that makes any sense.

Installing the Eminence Basslite S2012 was a piece of cake, as it fits perfectly and bolts right in. This is one solid sounding woofer! Definitely much better deep lows with more clarity and definition. The low-mids are punchier with more powerful thrust in the attack. Very smooth tonality throughout the midrange with very crisp & clear high-mids. Plenty of good; clean & clear highs too with a light airy presence. All nicely balanced together. It's a superb speaker that is well worth the price of admission.

5StringAssassin and bassplayer65 like this.
  13. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Thanks for elaborating. I have a Bassman 150, the slightly upscale cousin of this amp. Like you, I lined the interior, which was an improvement. I thought about replacing the stock speaker, and the S2012 looked like the best upgrade candidate. But where you replaced an 8 ohm speaker with another 8 ohm speaker, I would be replacing a 4 ohm driver. Also, I'm not sure the money wouldn't be better spent elsewhere, especially after the neo price increase. But it's good to see someone who did it and is happy with the results.

14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You would definitely need another 4 ohm woofer as a replacement. Call or write Eminence. They're a small company with good people and will help.

Faital Pro woofers are another good, but more expensive option. They have a lot of 4 ohm options.

Check out US Speaker, they have what you need.

15. MarkWtbyCT

MarkWtbyCT Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Connecticut
    Has anyone tried a Kappalite HO in the Rumble 75?

Linnin likes this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I wonder how much difference in tone there would be between the Kappalite HO and Basslite S2012?
    The Kappalite HO is $210 direct from Eminence: Usable Frequency Range is listed as 51 Hz - 3.5 kHz with a Sensitivity of 100.5 dB.
    The Basslite is $110 with a Usable Frequency Range of 49 Hz - 4.5 kHz and a Sensitivity of 99 dB.

twinfallsbass likes this.
  17. Buzz E

Buzz E

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Linnin, you've lived with the Eminence for a while now. Are you still happy with the results? I also have a Rumble 75 and am considering this swap as well. The stock speaker just sound too muddy in the low sections. Hoping the Eminence would bring more punch to the bottom end....

Linnin likes this.
  18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes I am. My Rumble 75 is my daily personal practice amp, and I'm glad that I did what I did. The only change I would make is to use the 1/2" foam only and leave an additional angled floor panel unlined. So top; sides, and back panels only. The sound damping Sonic Barrier foam really tightens up the bottom end and helps focus the mids. The Eminence Basslite S2012 Neo has more & better of everything vs the stock ceramic magnet woofer.

bassman74, bassplayer65 and Buzz E like this.
  19. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I know, old thread.

Linnin, I did the same to my Peavey BASIC 112 over a year ago. The Basslite S2012 is a nice improvement over the stock speaker. I used Sonic Barrier, also. Great stuff to work with. Let's not forget the weight savings going Neo! I also agree about the fine people at Eminence!

null_zps8455be22.jpg

Linnin likes this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Good Work @Exploiter8! :thumbsup: This is an excellent thread to revive ;)

Exploiter8 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021