Upgrading a Marcus Miller Jazz....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VinceLovesF, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Hello guys,

I'm considering upgrading My Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass with a Sadowsky preamp!
    Does anyone of you tried that??
    My aim is not to copy Marcus, to have a different and better sound from what I have!
    Thought?? feelings??

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    buy the sadowsky pedal or get a j retro. It's a great sounding bass. A friend was over this weekend and we tried the pedal and it was good but you loose some of the options available with the current onboard electronics. You might want to try pickups before changing the preamp.

What sounds are you wanting out of the bass?
  3. Something more clear and define....growly and punchy
    I heard some people doing that and been very happy, I'd like toughts from people of TB!
    I don't wan't an other bass as I just bought a F Bass....
    Ever tried that pedal, very good, but better if it's on my bass....

4. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Dude from "The Dude Pit" makes a J-retro that fits right into the Marcus Miller bass. That should be awesome!
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a Marcus Miller bass and bought a Aguilar DB924 outboard preamp. I switch my MM bass to passive and use the preamp, walla! stock preamp problems (can be harsh) are gone! This preamp can also be used with all the other basses I own, it is a transparent preamp and does not color your sound any. The Aggie and the Sadowsky preamp was both pretty much designed by the same person- Alex Aguilar
  6. Sure the sound is huhe, and the term "upgrade" or make better is personal...I have problems with trebles, they sound really, strange!
    It has been at the luthier and everything is good....So I deduce it's because of the pre!
    Sorry I can't explain more what is it with the trebles, not enough English vocab!!

7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    This is the harshness I speak of. the preamp is not the bad at all but when you boost the treble (by the way the MM pre is all boost) it can get a little shrill sounding. None of my MIA dlx basses have that problem and neither does my MIM dlx for that matter so it's not just in my head!
  8. So this is the word I haven't, and it's an horrible feeling of thet "harsh"!
    This is why I want to "upgrade" it!! I love that bass, don't want to sell it...
    Thanks for help!!

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I am torn personally between the J Retro and the Sadowsky in my Fender Jazz Deluxe MIA. After I got my metro I realized how "under pre amped " my deluxe was. It just dosen't sound near as Musical as the Sadowsky, more artificial. The one thing that impresses me about the Sadowsky is it works!, I find myself adjusting very little, and using the vintage tone and the pickup blend and my hands for sound differences. I have a feeling the J- Retro is more "versitile", but the Sadowsky seems to have the sound, "Fat, with Deffinition" that sits in the mix, and that you can Feel. I had to do so much "tweeking" with my Deluxe going from tune to tune, with the Sadowsky I rarely adjust. The MM's While being great basses for the money don't ever seem to sound "warm" without going "muddy". So I'm sure either would be an upgrade. If you go with the Sadowsky add the VTC, it makes a world off difference! Also while Agular builds the Pres for Sadowsky they are far different animals and Roger has a no compete clause giving him an exclussive on his desighn.
  10. I think I'm going to the sadowsky with VTC....
    will see and wait for TBers advice