Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nails, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum, setup may be better but it sounds like it's dedicated to tweeking truss rods and intonation not this. Move this wherever the powers of moderation lead you.

I've been wanting to do some upgrades to my 4 string MIM P-Bass. I want to put a heavier bridge on mainly, there's other things but this is what I'm really interested in. I've grown to dislike the stock bridge, mainly because the saddles aren't anchored on the sides and one of the screws to adjust string height on my E string is slowly lowering itself.

I been looking at the Badass II, Schaller 3D4, or a Hipshot Style B thru-body/top load. Out of those three which would you suggest? Are there any bridges that are considered better for around the same price? Does converting the bass to string thru help that much, as in will it make a difference amplified, help clarity and sustain, and with string tension, does it affect tuning? I'm happy with my string spacing at 3/4, so I'd like to keep it close to there. The Schaller appears to have all I want (and more) on it, but it's also the most expensive of the three. Does the Hipshot compare to the others if it's used as a top load? I do like to option of being able to run some strings thru and others top loaded though, or is this a stupid thing to do? Will they fit my bass w/o any mods aside from string thru holes if I decide to go that route?

That's all for now, thanks for any help you guys and gals can give me. I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but that's all I can think of right now.