Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading a Rockbass 5 String.. Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Dec 27, 2005.

1. After being out of the biz for seven years.. I have decided that I am going to get back to playing again.. I got a good xmas deal on a Rockbass 5 string for under 500.00. After playing it for a while.. I like the way it feels and plays.. balanced rather well for me...but the sound.. that is a different matter altogether.. it needs to be upgraded.. in past years the other 5 strings that I have had all had Bart active 9v systems in it.. I have read quite a bit on here and did some archive searching.. but can't seem to put it all together as to which way to go.. based on the woods that are used to make this bass.. and knowing that I want to go with a 18v system.. what direction would others suggest.. I have no experince with the Aguilar onboard systems or the EMG's..I have always heard (if I remember right) that EMG's have a sharper tone to them (that is the only way I know to descrbe it).. I play country and rock covers. Some guidence would be greatly appreciated here.. your wealth of knowledge is humblely welcomed..

Doc

2. Bump.. I see that folks are jilted by what is on the headstock ummmmm..

Doc

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    after playing a lakland with a ntmb, I am convinced that for rock/country/blues/pop with an active setup, a bart ntmb with bart pickpus is the way to go.

An aguilar might sound good also, but make sure you get the opb 3 since the opb1 only boosts, and doesn't cut, making it hard to cut the trebble for the classic country/blues deep tones.

Other folks may disagree with me, but I have only played 1 emg equipped instrument (a 70's pbass) with an emg pickup that sounded good for country/blues. I would avoid emg for your uses.
    Best of luck whatever direction you choose.

PS You probably aren't getting much response, because this post belongs in the pickup/electronics section.

4. I appreciate the reponse.. yeah.. i am still learning that folks sometimes get a little anal about where a posting is.. even if a person may put something in the wrong spot.. if you have knowledge of something.. either give the person a response, even if it is a nice little pm to let them know that they put it in the wrong spot.. plus go ahead and give them some knowledge at the same time.. just ignoring someone's post don't get it either .. that is my opinion..

But I do thank you for your response again.. I have thought about the OPB-3.. with Barts.. or at first with the MEC's to see what kind of difference it makes..

Doc