1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrading a squier vintage modified jaguar special ss

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Artetmusic, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Hello everyone,

I started playing the bass 2 month ago with a mustang pj and would also like to start playing on a fretless.
    I have just ordered a squier vintage modified jaguar special ss (candy red apple) that will be defretted by a luthier. I was thinking about getting La Bella nylon strings.

I would like to get your advices on several guitar bass parts please :

- Which pickups would be the best for this future fretless jaguar ? Would it be better to upgrade the PJ pickups already installed ?

- I would like to get a bridge cover but can't find one for this model. Any idea please ?

Please let me know if you have other advices :)

Starting playing the bass has been really wonderful. I am sure I will like the fretless :-D

Thank you in advance

2. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    I wouldn’t make it fretless AND get nylon strings. I’d do one or the other. Nylon strings allow a fretted instrument to sound close to a fretless (Rotosound Trubass I’m looking at you). If you make it fretless, consider if you want to play flatwounds or rounds (such as with Primus and Jaco) and have the fingerboard finished accordingly (rounds will chew up a wood fingerboard, Jaco famously covered his in epoxy)

Keep the pickups stock until you’re familiar enough with the sound of the bass and can tell what you don’t like about them so you know what to shop for tone-wise.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  3. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Thank you for your answer RedJag !
    I thought that nylon strings were perfect for fretless basses, preserving the fretboard and getting a warmer and rounded sound. I was wrong.
    I prefer flatwounds even on my fretted mustang.

4. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I put 1/4 pounders in mine and think they sound great, but might not be what you are looking for. For fretless maybe Geezers? Standard bridge cover fits fine...don't forget chrome knobs and black pickguard screws....and I used black D'Adarrio tapes.

IMGP0002.JPG

bthumpinonbass likes this.
  5. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Thank you GoLeafsGo !
    Would this cover be ok : https://www.thomann.de/fr/fender_vintage_jbass_bridge_cover.htm

I am going to check on the geezers pickups, thanks !
    Love your bag by the way :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    GoLeafsGo likes this.
  6. GoLeafsGo

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Yeah, that looks like the right one. Make sure you lay it out straight and Mark the spots for the holes before you drill. I used a couple of pieces of painters paint and marked it on that. Makes the hole cleaner when you drill and doesn't damage the finish around the drill holes.

7. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    I am going to ask the luthier to do it. It will be best for sure :-D

8. GoLeafsGo

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    And, don't forget to post some pics of the finished bass, really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Those are seriously good basses, and a few mods and they are just outstanding!

9. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    i will post pictures.
    I should receive the bass in 2 weeks. It was out of stock in my area.
    The luthier will work on it in January.

10. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Hello everyone,

I've just received my squier jag and I love it !!!
    The set up was ok out of the box.
    Before bringing the bass to the luthier, i would like to buy some new potentiometers and chrome knobs.
    Could you please recommend me some ?
    I've read CTS is a good brand but I don't know which models are the best.

I have already ordered the bridge cover (the black one)

Thank you in advance and happy holidays to everyone :)

11. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    If you’re not sure about which potentiometers to use, just have your luthier wire them in. I’m sure he’s got pots lying around. That being said mine are wired up with CTS pots. (You can’t go wrong with fender branded pots, which are made by CTS, though they do cost a tad more)

sissy kathy likes this.
  12. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Thanks RedJag !

I purchase everything before bringing it to my luthier even the strings. And I would like to order it before the end of the month so I can play my "new" bass as soon as possible :).
    It's a shame I didn't get a notice manual with this squier so I would know what to buy exactly.

13. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    Your luthier might charge you less for the parts than ordering online + shipping. He likely buys them in bulk, knows what works (and has 250k as well as 500k pots), strings I understand as that is a more personal choice. But if he has the parts and he’s doing the wiring just have him use his parts. If you’re wiring it yourself then obviously you want the parts.

14. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Hello everyone,

here are some pics of my Squier jaguar SS with some modification (fretless, pickups etc.)
    If you have any other advice, don't hesitate :)

Attached Files:

el jeffe bass, PlanZero and GoLeafsGo like this.
  15. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Thank you @sissy kathy :). I didn't choose to install a P cover for the neck because I play with my finger on top of the pickup and I don't know how to play differently...

16. GoLeafsGo

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Wow! That turned out really nicely. Good job!

Artetmusic likes this.
  17. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Thank you ! Now, I have a lot of work learning the fretless bass ;-)

18. PlanZero

PlanZero

Jan 24, 2018
    That thing looks great! Did you make it fretless yourself? What did you use to fill the fret slots?
    I have a squier jag ss but I barely play it (my EB-0 takes precedence ATM) and I often contemplate it's future. I miss having a fretless bass. Yours looks excellent and I've never owned a SS fretless yet. My cheapo squier (I paid $120 new from amazon warehouse deals) is a prime candidate.

Edit: didn't realize you had a Luthier do it. How much did he charge for the fretless job? Did he have to rout the pick guard? I have some PJ pups but the Ps don't fit the guard.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  19. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Yes, it was done by a luthier. I paid 80euros for the fretless job. It was easy and fast for him to do it. The most difficult part was changing the pick ups by the EMG Geezer Butler since it was not working at first.