Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading Amp Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Feb 21, 2002.

1. I am a newer bass player (been playing almost a year) and I started with a combo amp, that got the job done, but I am now gigging and the band is becoming established. What type of Head and Cab should I get? I dont want to be stingy on money. I want something with some power, at least a 400w. So any suggestions?

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Well first off, we kinda need to know what kind of music you are playing, what kind of sound you want, how big the venues are, how much you are willing to spend...etc.

Most larger venues that regularly have concerts will usually have a good PA system. A lot of times you can just run your bass direct, with a good DI (Direct Injection). Sans Amp Bass Driver DI is a small unit that costs about $180 USD, and is highly reccomended by many people on this forum. Your combo amp might have a DI built in, although some will advise against that.

As for an amp, there are many different brands as there are different types of tone.
    Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, SWR, Fender, Peavey, Gallien-Kruger, Hartke, Sunn, Mesa-Boogie, just to name a few.

my 2¢

3. I play mostly blues and classic rock, nothing like punk rock or angry music at all, but definately loud at times. I'm still looking around, I'm planning to buy the amp in a few months, so I can spend up to $1500-$2000. The venues we play now are the equivelant of clubs, and I usually do plug into the PA also, but soon we will be playing larger scale, and I will need a rig to compensate.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd recommend a 4x10. Some good ones to check out are the SWR Goliath III (my favorite), the Aguilar GS410, the Eden 410XLT. there are some super nice looking new peavey cabs coming out too.

as for heads, do you want an all tube thing for being authentic to classic rock, or a hybrid head?

all tube heads such as the Sunn 300T/Ampeg SVT/Mesa 400+ + one of those 4x10s would probably tear the roof off of anything you need it to.

carvin makes a good sounding 1000 watt head, or you can get it just in poweramp form (AN EXCELLENT BUY!!!) and put on a preamp of your choice. the SWR SM400S is a great amp that you can find used pretty easily too...

what kind of sound are you going for?

jason

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Blues and Classic rock?
    Let me point you in the right direction.

http://www.ampeg.com/

Go to the Classic series and build your rig.
    i use the Ampeg B4r (Solid state) and 610 hlf. But any combination will get that sound and should be in your budget. want hybrid (tube pre/SS power amp) try the Svt3 or Svt 4. want all tubes try the SVT 2. The buy now buttons on the web page will show you dealers in your area and their prices.

6. Ok so I've been looking around online and I think this is the direction I want to go in...at least a 400w head, 4x10, & maybe a 1x12. My price range is generous, up to 1600. How does that sound?

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Aguilar DB 359 200W all tube head, used $1000.
    Any good used 410, $600

An all tube 200W amp will give you tons of volume.

I have the DB 728, which is 400 watts. I never use more than half the available power, and I play in a loud band.