Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading and Trading in??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stez, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    So I'm looking to change amps, I have a couple of ideas what I want and know I need to go and try them all first.
    the question is, what do I do with my current gear???
    I can't affoard the new with out selling the amp I have now, do you all sell privatley (ebay or what ever) or do you trade in at the store??

ANy advice would be great.

Cheers

2. If you can sell your current amp privately, so much the better because generally, the trade-ins offered by music stores are pretty derisory in my experience. :scowl:

It usually seems to end up as a "win win" situation in which you get MORE for your amp from the new owner than you would have got from the store and he ends up buying your old amp for LESS than he would have paid in a store. :)

Sounds like my definition of a good deal.

EVERYBODY'S happy. :D :D :D :D

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I always sell privately, you get more $$ that way.

Lets's say you have an amp worth $300 in the used market. A store will only give you HALF of that (they need to make money selling it right?) or $150. You could sell it yourself for $200, it would fly out the door and you'd still be up $50 over doing the trade-in. If you could wait for a buyer to come buy with $300, even better.

The real reason most people do trades is they lack the money to buy upfront. If you think you can sell your stuff reasonably quickly just buy with a credit card or use dealer financing if they offer it (gotta love those GC "no payments for a year" deals), then pay it off 100% as soon as you can dump your old gear.

4. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    Cheers guys,
    I'm in the UK so can't take advantage of the GC Deals, and I've nto heard them being offered round here.

Andy's on Denmark street London, have offered to sell it on commission for me, might get a quick sale but I didn't as the % they would want.
    have yo ever heard of anyone doing this?