Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading bass: pickup compatibility?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BenDenny, Sep 17, 2000.

1. BenDenny

BenDenny

Sep 16, 2000
    I'm considering upgrading my danelectro longhorn, first by replacing the piece of crap bridge and tuners, and then by upgrading the pickups.

My question is: if I replaced the neck lipstick with a basslines musicman replacement pickup, would it be necessary to remove the bridge pickup, or would they be able to work together? thanks in advance to anyone who answers

Ben Denny

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Coupla things. The Danelectro Longhorn is a semi-hollow masonite instrument, so I don't know what will happen if you rout it out for a big pickup, i.e. I don't know if there will be anything to screw it to. I'm not very familiar with Danelectros, although I've handled a few.

Also, keep in mind that the MM replacements are designed for use with a preamp, that is, they are designed to improve the sound of a MusicMan bass. This doesn't mean that they won't work on a different bass, or with passive electronics, just something to think about. In any case, I doubt that it would match up too well with the other lipstick.

Another avenue to consider is rewinding. Seymour Duncan, Lindy Fralin, and others offer custom rewinding, and could probably help you out, if your pickups are rewindable. Again, I'm not familiar with Danelectro pickups. Also, I have seen lipstick tube bass pickups for sale somewhere, not sure if they'll fit your bass. My personal recommendation is to call or e-mail Seymour Duncan, Lindy Fralin, and/or Aero Instrument about the possibility of rewinding before routing out your bass. Also, if you call Seymour Duncan (on your dime), they will tell you if their pickups are suitable for your application.

Hope this helps.

3. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hey there's someone out there like me!
    i have a danelectro longhorn and i don't like the tone very much...it's kind of biting...y'know? well the MM replacement seems really drastic....but maybe a jazz bass would work?? but you also have to understand that the string spacing for danelectros is more narrow than the standard jazz bass(that's what i feel)....it's a short scale small instrument for ppl with small hands.
    well contact basslines and please let me know if you come up with a solution....or i have to get a new bass...
    i was also thinking about once i get a new bass to de-fret my danelectro...to get a smoother sound...maybe that'll help
    anywyas...lemme know..thanks

4. BenDenny

BenDenny

Sep 16, 2000
    I actually prefer the dano to others I've played, plus I have little woman hands(sorta funny, I'm 6'1"). the original plan was to rip out the cheap bridge and put in the badass2, rip out the tuners and put some better ones in(still undecided on brand), put in a better neck(maybe) and the pickup modifications already discussed.

Really just a attempt to make a cool looking, light short scale sound good, really.

5. Not to long ago dano longhorns were in great demand. If you modify an instrument the value of the instrument is lost. you could sell your bass and buy one that you like. Or build a masonite body and put an aftermarket neck on it.

6. BenDenny

BenDenny

Sep 16, 2000
    you misunderstand: I do like the bass, due to the lightness and look. I'd like to upgrade it so it sounded better, and to take out its obvious flaws(bridge, tuners). as its going I may just find one of those 62' fender short scales my friend assures me he has seen.