1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrading blues: should I ditch my amp altogether?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Apr 9, 2006.

1. I am at the stage where I am thinking about upgrading my amp setup to something bigger, being that our band is starting to actually look at playing around town. I have to tell you that I find this whole process confusing and slightly frustrating :meh: . I am very tight on cash and I'm afraid of having post-purchase regrets like "I should have saved a bit longer for something a bit better or louder". So...

I had a thought: What about removing the amp/cabs from the equation altogether and rather investing in a good preamp to go through the PA system (which we practice with and will undoubtedly have available at shows), and using a small, light practise amp for monitoring and practising at home???

Stupid idea? Would I totally shoot myself in the foot by not having a huge rig or is this "light-transport" setup a decent alternative?? Thanks again!!

2. Well, from what I can see, you've got the yorkville xm200t-not a bad piece of equipment for a great price. on the other hand, your considering selling because your afraid of volume issues when you hit the stage....I have done shows that have worked fine with my tnt130, no problems, no support needed from PA. Until I get a fanbase that can actually fuel my funding towards a better rig, I don't really have much need/chance to upgrade unless I win the lottery, in which, I will go completely gung ho on whatever equipment I want. I (in your situation), would probably get a cheap cabinet (an avatar 15-nice round sound? good efficiency?). That way you will probably have plenty of volume (as I'm hearing from people that have done the same). If that's not working out, you can DI to a GOOD PA