1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'Upgrading Brubaker Brute MJXSC'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Oct 8, 2013.

1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Got a second bass coming in. And looking for tips on upgrading this bass which is a nice single cut brubaker brute. I've pulled up a lot of Youtube videos on this bass and just from the audio they bite a little. I already know a lot of the tone does come from good amplification as well. Seeking advice on what to change out and go with to get close to the high end Brubakers. Bass is arriving soon so need help from any TBers. Also want to know if Hipshot Tuners would if as well. Note on upgrade, looking for pickups, as well as preamp that will allow me to add coil tapping switch. Which the bass I'm getting I thought it came with one. :bassist:

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have one of these. Play it first; you may rethink upgrading. The pickups and preamp really sound good. (I did have an issue with the MM pickup and opted for a Nordstrand MM5.3, but this change was not about tone.). Tone-wise, different pickups will make it different, but "better" is subjective. I always wonder why peope plan to change electronics in a bass they have never heard, but I suppose you have your reasons.

As for the machine heads, I do not know if Hipshot makes a direct replacement. The ones on mine are of such quality that replacing them would be pointless.

On my bass, I installed the Nordie MM5.3 and a set of Loxx strap pins. I have no plans to change the J pickup (it sounds great!) or make any other modifications.

Be sure to post pics!

3. I have an older jjx 5 model that I just installed usa black hipshot tuners in. They are the 3/8 size tuners. They were not a direct fit so I enlarged the holes slightly to accommodate them. Not sure about the newer models though...

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Congrats on the new Brute. If you're getting a brand new SC then yes it comes with a two way coil split for the MM style pup. Like my man said, check the bass out before you decide on upgrading the pre and pups. I have an older MJX-5 that I love to gig with. Sounds awesome to me through any rig that I've tried. So far it sounds good through markbass gear, GK, Epifani, and Tecamp.

5. Heres mine with hipshot tuners...

Attached Files:

6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Just decided to upgrade my stock MJX-5. Going with custom set of RJ NEOs and a Nordy 3 band pre and will add coil splitting. Should be done for Christmas!!!

7. I know it going to sound geeat! Never heard those pickups. How would you describe their sound?

8. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Reed James is known to make killer pickups. More output, more tone and at the same time very clean, clear sounding. They will be hotter than the stock Pups which are not bad. For all the smack I talk I better sound good when people hear me play LOL!!! So I'm getting my act together. Plus it's just in my personality to go with something other cats are not using in general. There is another Brubaker Brute Club Member who swears by his SGD NEO Pups. He hinted that they sound much better than the status quo upgrade pups available. So I'm riding the cutting edge wave. There is a video on youtube of a guy playing a Lakland with reed james pups(J/MM) with a coil splitter and it sounds good but he's playing too fast and all the wrong stuff to really let you hear the bass and pups. And I don't believe these pups are the RJ Neos. Reed James is custom making the NEOS for my J/MM solution. He says 15-30 days turnaround. And I'm going with the Nordy pre as I believe they are very good pres. I'll already have a Bart Package in my KXB-5.