Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading Eden Traveler Head to Pre/Power Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassManMike, Apr 2, 2005.

1. BassManMike

BassManMike

Apr 2, 2005
    Hello all,

This is my first post on TalkBass and I am looking forward to joining the community.

I have an Epifani 310 cabinet that I am driving currently with an Eden WT-400 and something about the character of the amp and the power it puts out just doesn't seem to be cutting it. The sound is not as clean as I would like. I am therefore considering upgrading to a pre/power combo, which I think will provide more flexibility in the future.

The problem is that this type of rig is somewhat "esoteric" so my options of gear to try are limited, and I am somewhat concerned about buying anything without a return option.

The local music megastore essentially stocks the following in the pro sound department and would sell it to me with their standard 30-day return policy - have any had experience with either of these:

Presonus Eureka "preamp" - street price of about $600, this has an instrument input, 3 band parametric EQ and compressor both of which are harwire bipassable, and is all solid state. It has some circuitry to simulate the "tube" sound.

QSC PLX1202 Power amp - About $700, 200 wpc into 8 ohm stereo, but bridges to 1200 w mono into 4 ohms. My Epifani is the older 5.1 ohm model which would still draw about 900-1000 ohms.

The other option would be probably one of the Demeter preamps and either the QSC amp or a Stewart World 1.6 (I'm thinking the 2.1 would be overkill). However, I'd probably have to "special order" these items which would make the sale final.

I know may use the Demeter stuff, but curious what thoughts are on the Presonus piece.

Thanks and sorry about the long post.

-M

2. There are a TON of options for you. There are numerous threads regarding this. If you go to the search button and do a search of preamp/poweramp you'll find endless info. You have many choices in the $600.00 price range for pre's, and as for power amps, try to get as much power as you can afford, especially driving that 310 cab, it likes power. The QSC PLX series amps are great and light.
    The Stewart 2.1 would not be overkill.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Welcome to the community! We're a pleasant folk here-about. Start with the search function. Another option for your current rig is to use your WT-400 as a preamp. If you can, I am unsure as I only ever owned a WT-600. That and a PLX would work. If you don't like the preamp, search for threads about preamp tubes and how they change the sound of amps like yours. All the info you need to get obssesive-compulsive about your dilemma are at your finger tips.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont think the 2.1 would be overkill. far from it. in fact, the price of a 2.1 is so little over a 1.6 i never even considered the 1.6. however, the 1.6 is cool.

i would stick with that or a qsc plx amp just due to weight.

if the eden isn't "hi-fi" enough or "clear" enough for you that's understandable as eden is one of the "warmer" sounding amps out there. still, you could start by buying a poweramp and using the wt-400 as a preamp (which you can only do by using the headphone out of the wt-400) and seeing how you liek the sound. if you dig it than get an eden navigator.

if not, IME, you'll find preamps like the demeter and aggie 680 to be clearer, but the aggie 659 will probably not appeal to you as it tends to be "darker" than the eden. however there are a ton out there to try. www.basstasters.com will give you some great soundclips, but take them with a grain of salt as they are all mp3's coming thru computer speakers.

5. BassManMike

BassManMike

Apr 2, 2005
    Thanks guys. I ran a search (sorry not to beforehand) and noticed that quite a few are using the PreSonus Eureka, so it's a viable bass preamp option (which is what I was uncertain of). Given the return policy of the merchant, this and the PLX will likley be my first option. Since I seem to be in search of the "hi fi" sound, and the Eureka is solid state, I may be very happy -- and will report back when I can.

Thanks again,
    M

6. Check out the Avalon U5 too.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    true.

i just checked out one yesterday but the basses and cabs sam ash in new haven had didnt seem to do it justice (i only had my demeter preamp and stewart poweramp with me and i couldnt get a sound i was happy with even with the demeter) :spit:

i have to run down with all my stuff and give the avalon another go, but it seemed to be a very cool unit. to me it sounded a bit "clearer" than the demeter but without as much "girth". I'll have to do a real comparison with my stuff and report back. ;)