1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading equipment? Opinions wanted!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaronhutson, May 12, 2011.

1. Okay so I am currently looking to upgrade all my equipment and im starting to wonder about my basses. I have a peavey millennium bxp and a kramer baretta 522s.

My thing is that i dont have a set type i play. I sub for many bands and have a few projects of my own. I do alot of death metal and alot of praise and worship. But i also go in between and sub for contemporary to hard rock.

Im wondering if i should maybe put some emgs in my kramer or look into saving up for a new bass (any and all opinions welcome!). Im in the process of running a sansamp rbi with a behringer 2000 or 2500w amp with two 410 cabs( should i look into another combo?).

One project that may be coming up could be a bigger one, requiring me to stop subbing as much and put more into this one. Its a southern hard rock style. Kinda like maylene and the sons of disaster southern minus the screaming.

So equipment wise... what do you think?

Oh and keep in mind im only a teenager so im also paying gas and insurance and whatnot while still full time in highschool. So I cant spend 1000 bucks on a bass. Ha.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    What do you dislike about your current gear?

3. I dont dislike anything. Im just wondering if anyone knows something that i dont. Just looking for other peoples opinion.

Plus, once i get my pre/ power amp setup, i'll need a whole new GAS list.
    :D

4. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

I buy mid range basses, and upgrade to what I want. I play the Ibanez SR's and really don't like the active pickups so I put in Passive Basslines, Hipshot tuners and Bridge, coloured volume knobs. I can take a mid range bass make it a mid-high quality bass and get what I want instead of what Ibanez (or any other guitar company) tells me to get. It sometimes costs more in the long run but you get what you want and can build slowly based on your budget as you go.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    My opinion is the "right" question has already been asked! Upgrades aren't something that just happen a certain time like routine car service. "well, time to change the oil and buy a new bass...wonder what I should get?"

You START with what you don't like. If you like it all then you KEEP it all! But over time this is usually not the case. Maybe the strings are shifting on the bridge, or the tuners slip, or you decide the tone is "OK" but it really would be better if it has just a little more (fill in what it is you want). THEN, the questions answer themselves. "I'm looking for a bass with more "growl", sustain, whatever it is."

GAS really starts with dissatisfaction and wanting to be a different place than where you are now. If YOU don't know where you want to be, WE sure can't tell you where that is!

6. Well i love the way my Baretta 522s plays. But i wish it had a hotter and fuller tone. So maybe some better pickups? Maybe wiring in some active emgs? Any suggestions there?