Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading Fender! Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joey Joe Joe, Mar 19, 2002.

1. I recently picked up a Deluxe P-Bass Special, and I'm looking at doing some mods to it. First to be replaced will be the bridge, tuners and the nut. Later on I'll look at pickups and electronics, I just can't afford that stuff right yet.

So can anyone make any suggestions for brands on the bridge and tuners, as well as materials for the nut?

I like a well rounded tone, boomy, but tight... if that's possible :)

2. If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it. Sorry, I'm new here, just not sure where to go!

I'm lost! :(:confused: ;)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    For the tuning machines, I'd go w/Schaller BML tuners. They're the same as found on Music Man basses, G&L basses & many others.

The bridge, either a BadAss II or a Gotoh.

I'm a HUGE EMG man. I'd go w/a set of PJ set & put an Aguilar OBP-1 pre-amp. If you wanna go passive, I like the Duncan 1/4lb PJ.

Personally, I'd leave the nut alone.

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm trying to understand something here. You have a P Deluxe Special? So, is this the US made ax with the active EQ, the P pickup in the middle and a humbucker in the bridge? If this is the ax, as much as I'm a G&L guy, I have to say this Fender is a pretty damn good ax. I'm baffled as to why you'd want to upgrade what is essentially a pre-"upgraded" bass.

Are we talking about the same ax?

Ron

PS now that I come to think of it, would you be talking about the Mex made ax that’s a P bass with a J pickup in the bridge, a J neck, and a gold pickgaurd? Sorry, I must sound like I'm all over the place on this one. If so, I could see upgrading the pickups and maybe bridge. EMGs are fine and back in my Fender days, I'd upgrade J basses (and one P) with EMGs. The hitch is that you have to take off the damn pickgaurd to get to the battery when you need to change. Not a lot of fun in the middle of a gig!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dgce- the American P Deluxe is the humbuckered version, which, as you said, is one kickin Axe, even to a non-Fender fan like myself (actually, I'm GASing for one on and off constantly...)

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ahhh, so we are talking about the kick-ass, humbucker equipt P bass. Say, Joe Joe, are you sure you want to mess with that? I mean, hey, its yr money and you should do to yr ax what will make you happy but...damnit man, that's a great bass! I tried yr bass in a 5 string with natural ash body and maple board and holy crap, I was really impressed. Its the first non-Custom Shop Fender that could actually give Music Man and G&L a legitamate run for the money (and I don't say that lightly because for years I thought the American Standards were mediocore at best and very inconsistant in the quality control department).

A bass like yr P Deluxe Special you really wouldn't want to upgrade too much if at all. I would think you'd just swap for an ax you'd really want. If that Fender of yrs is in good shape, you shouldn't have any problem selling or swaping it. Slicing and dicing it might actually do more harm than good in the long run.

Ron

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Joey Joe Joe didn't reply. Brendan was clearing up that "the American P Deluxe is the humbuckered version".

In Joey's original post he said he has the "Deluxe P-Bass Special" which is the MIM with the PJ configuration.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Spot on Nino.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So the only original parts will be the neck and body?

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    No, the pickguard w/screws neckplate w/screws string retainer w/screw & football side jackplate w/screws . :D:)

11. Hey guys, sorry it's taken me so long to reply here.

The bass I have is the MIM version. It has passive p/ups and electronics and vintage Fender bridge. I'd like to upgrade it so that it can be a kick ass axe, probably make it even better than the MIA version.

I like the sound of passive pickups, but I'd like an active preamp... but that's further down the road.

Right now I'd like to replace the bridge (probably with a Badass II), tuners, and nut. I need to at least replace the nut, even if it's the same material. This one just doesn't look too sturdy, I'd rather have a nut I can trust.

Thanks for the advice so far guys!!

12. I'd replace the bridge with a Badass II, personally I'd leave the tuners, and maybe replace the nut with a bone or brass one.

13. Seymour Duncan makes a nifty set of active PJ pups that might do what you want without further expense. I've got a set here waiting to go in my newest creation.

Best value for the money in bridges is the Schaller Roller. You can get them in all colors and they are easy to install. Aside from Schaller, only more expensive bridges offer 3 way adjustments.

14. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Hey JJJ, I was at Bass Central today and they have a Moses Graphite Fretless neck replacement for a Fender. That would be a great upgrade. I thought about getting it, but I have spent too much money there this week as it is. Give them a call . I think it's the last one they have in stock.