1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Upgrading" from American Std Jazz to American Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eckie, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    I'm sure many here have made this transition. What are the pros and cons ?

2. CBbass

CBbass

Jul 19, 2011
    Well it depends on which specs you like more. The deluxe is active, standard is passive. I would personally take the standard regardless of price.

3. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I agree. I don't care for the active Jazz tone. Passive sounds more earthy to me. I'll take a pure Jazz tone over active any day.

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Of course the American Deluxe has an active passive switch and a passive tone control in passive mode so I'd take the Deluxe any day of the week. But there are some other differences that may be more important to you than me. The Standard has a wider range of finish options. The Standard has single coil pickups, the Deluxe has the N3 Noiseless pickups. The Standard has a VVT control format, in passive mode the Deluxe has BVT. Depends on which you like. I have neither, btw, my basses are both MIMs, a Deluxe Active Jazz and as of just last night a Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz. As you can see I like active basses though the RH has an active/passive switch, but no passive tone control. I may add a passive tone control to it because the passive mode is more useful with it. It is more money that I can justify spending right now otherwise the American Deluxe would be perfect for me.

Ken

5. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    ..and it is the single coils that float my boat.
    I use a Sadowsky outboard preamp when active is desired. It sounds great with the American Standard.

6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    It's not really upgrading. They are different instruments.

7. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Thanks guys. To be honest my question is partly fuelled by money starting to burn a hole in my pocket. I've had my American Jazz V for nearly 2 years and it plays beautifully and sounds just right for the band I'm in. But we all suffer from GAS to some extent and my local GuitarGuitar has some beautiful instruments in stock for me to drool over.
    One of my previous basses was a Jazz 24 and it was an amazing instrument for the price and I really liked the active tonal options.

This guy's to blame too albeit it's a P rather than J!

8. I'd stick with the American Standard because I find that they're the best representation of the good ol' passive Fender's development over time.

And because I already have an active Jazz. This one:
    front1.

9. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Now that's drop dead gorgeous and turned the GAS up !

10. :D

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

When someone finally pries that bass from your cold, dead fingers I'd like to buy it!

12. I'll get that written into the will right away.

I'll admit that the natural/maple Fender deluxe jazz distracts me, though. If I didn't have that bass in the photo above, I'd be sorely tempted.