Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading from B2-R to SVT-3 head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalloid, Feb 27, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Is it worth it? It's 50 watts less power, $400 more, and only has two preamp tubes to show for it.

I am not unhappy with my B2-R solid state at all, I just figure since I have the money now, why upgrade later?

Before I drive 2 hours to go to Guitar Center to try it out, should I even consider it?

2. I wouldn't do it. The SVT3 is solid state as well. Besides, the tone isn't that hot. For the same price, you should be able to get an Ashdown ABM500.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned an SVT 3 PRO for 2 yrs & loved it. BUT if you are <b>not unhappy</b> with the B2R, why spend your cash. Save it, cause you will see that bass you have to have, or you will be somewhere & try another amp out of the blue that is totally YOU. If you're gonna spend all that dough, you should be sure.

P.S. The SVT 3 PRO has 5 tubes total. 3 pre-amp tubes & 2 driver tubes. It is rated @ 450 watts @ 4 ohms.

The B2R is totally solid state & is rated @ 350 watts @ 4 ohms.

4. i'd say the only reason you would have to make the switch is if your not happy with the sound your getting, but tone wise, if your happy, just save the money, cause it wouldnt be worth it for just 100w© thats not even an added 3db volume gain©