Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading from Combo to 300W head... Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Mar 1, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    My question doesn't really have to do with volume. I've read the posts about 10x the wattage for double the volume. I own a 150w (really it just pushes 100w to it's internal speaker) combo that seems to be plenty loud for my purposes. I tend to play in small rooms with small/quiet bands for small crowds. I just have a chance to upgrade to a better 300w head at a great price and thought about pairing it with an aggie 112 or berg ex-112 (and taking other suggestions on $300-400 cabs).

I assume adding a second cab to the 300w head will provide many more benefits than adding it to the 150w combo. My limited knowledge of amplification also tells me that this "mini" rig will be more flexible and better sounding in the years ahead.

Would you all agree? Or do you find 300w heads to be a pointless step up from a combo? The caveat is that upgrading to 500+ watts will be many (3-4) years in the future. Also, for those of you utilizing this setup, what size venues are you comfortably filling with 1 or 2 cabs?

Thanks