Upgrading from Deluxe Active Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by manatee, Nov 14, 2004.

1. OK... need advice from you guys as always...

Last week something bad happened to the MIM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V. While I was resting it on the cab the bass somewhat got knocked over and fell face down on the floor (!), and we ended up with a broken mid pot. The knob was slanting and terribly crackly so I had to pull it off. It worked for awhile but it was a bad decision, because a few hours later the volume pot also refused to work and I ended up with 2 broken pots. (Thank goodness I got a spare bass handy)

So we're thinking should we fix the bass or trade it in as is. Fixing would cost around $50-100 here.

The bass was bought new for $1500-ish Australian at 1999 and in good condition (despite the pots!) Maybe it might sell for around $1000, which is pretty good for a trade in, and I'm willing to chip in a few more hundreds if necessary.

Now for some points to consider. We're playing all styles from cover pop to funk to rock to R&B. Basically I'm looking for something with more punch and low end, something that sounds better percussively and doesn't have a neck like a skateboard with frets. The jazz was alright but I'm a small person and it's a bit too heavy sometimes. Active electronics are not a priority, tone and playability is. So... yeah. I'm probably after one with a soapbar rather than a J/J setup.

I'm thinking a couple options already on and around the price range... Musicman SUB 5, Warwick Rock Bass Streamer 5, or Ibanez SR905.

Anyone got any other ideas? For your info, $1 Australian is about $0.75 American.

EDIT: Forgot about Carvin. A bit hard to get here but what about the B5 compared to those 3?
  2. ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Brother, if you like the way your Fender plays, buy the Sadowsky in-board preamp. Tons of tonals properties to play with, it'd be like a new bass but one you're already comfortable with. Just my $.02...