Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading horns in cabinets!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zemaitis, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    OK first of all I play SWR stuff and I love them! But if there was one thing I would change about my Super Redhead it would definetly be the horn! It just seems too touchy and overall not that flattering to my highs. My question is are other horns compatable with different amps? And how difficult is it too upgrade one? If anyone has any experience in this I would greatly appreciate the help and I need recomendations on what horn to use?
    Is there more to it than just the horn in the SWR? does my displeasure with the highs lie in the crossover as well?

Well I hope someone can shed some light on this for me
    Thanks in advance

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    As long as you get a horn with the same impedance, you'll be fine. also, the same mounting size is helpful, but not necessary if you think you want to mod the cab a bit. Listen around to some other cabs that you like the highs in, and see what kind they have. You can get a tweeter from Eden, which I think sound great. Go out and try some and really listen to the highs, and see what you think. Then see if you can get one for your cab.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's correct. If it's an 8 ohm horn in there now, buy another 8 ohm horn. If the horn you fall in love with only comes in a 4 ohm version, you can still buy it but you'll have to get a new crossover as well.

I agree that you should go and play as many cabs as you can. Once you hear a horn that screams your name, find out what it is and try to source one.

From memory SWR use Foster horns, as do Avatar, Epifani use P.Audio, Eden use Eden, etc etc............

4. ... that'll work, but depending on the level of engineering, you'll get mixed results. The crossover is suppose to be mated to the drivers - some manufacturer's do a lot, some do durn little.

5. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Well so begins the quest for a good horn!
    thanks guys
    Keir

6. In most bass cab cases, the crossovers are really only high pass filters as opposed to true 2 way crossovers i.e. the woofers see the full input range and only the tweeter sees reduced frequency range. I suspect the harshness in the SWR horns is a combination of the high pass filter frequency and the inherent sound of the SWR preamp. I would experiment first with raising the high pass frequency of the crossover - raising the frequency can be done by lowering the value of the capacitor and raising the value of the inductor accordingly. A great site for explanation of crossovers and component values is
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?F6D032457

Finding a horn that will fit the opening in the cab is probably the first order of business if you aim to replace it. A good place to start is http://www.partsexpress and do a search on tweeters or bullet tweeters. A decent replacement tweeter is not all that expensive.