Upgrading interface to improve Bass recordings.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nicholas Smith, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    Hello folks,

I’m hunting about crazily looking at purchasing my first audio interface for many years.

Currently own a Roland Quad Capture that when I bought it was supposed to be good for recording direct Bass. No issues at all with it.

Has anyone ever ungraded their audio interface from something like a Quad Capture and significantly heard a difference perhaps to a Focusrite Clarett or...?

Thank you!!!

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i'm not familiar with your roland piece, but depending on where you're sending that bass signal and what you're doing with it once it gets there = shouldn't make a lot of difference unless you're a picky enough listener to prefer a specific preamp sound. OTOH: features of one piece or the other might float your boat, better.

FWIW: i've used the same Mbox interface for ten years and have no need to change. when it dies = get something else.

3. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    If it did die on you, do you have any idea what you'd get?

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

TBH: i have a couple of Ui24R digital mixers --- i'd probably just commit to using them, exclusively. that said, if i thought i just wanted a smaller form factor, i.e., stereo: any of the cheap, two-channel interfaces (with good/competent preamps) would serve my purpose.

here's a current article/list of contenders (from which i might choose):
    The 12 best audio interfaces 2021: top audio interfaces for music-making and production | MusicRadar