Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading Marcus Miller Jazz Bass with Sadowsky Pre...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cerpin Taxt, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    Is it worth it? If so, why?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a new owner of a Marcus Miller Jazz, I must ask: what's wrong with what you got?

3. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    Good question. To be honest, not a whole lot.

The reason I'm asking is that I've read in a couple of places that people commonly replace the Pre on this model. I've heard people say that the stock pre is too "noisy" and "hot". I can't really attest to that, since I'm not very experienced with different preamps. I will say that i rarely turn either of the volume knobs up all the way because, frankly, I prefer the it that way.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Strange, I find the preamp to be nice and transparent, and subtle even when dialed in properly, for a little extra boost where I want it. I think it's great for that.

Here's where the proverbial "if everyone else jumps off a bridge, will you" comes in.

5. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    Heh.

That's exactly why I was asking.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    As a Marcus miller owner I understand why you may want the Sadowsky pre. It could be the mysique of Marcus's real bass or just putting a "tighter sounding" pre-amp in the bass. I got an outboard Aggie DB924 just for reason #2. You may want to take your bass and test drive a Sadowsky outboard pre, when your done with that check out the Aggie DB924 out board. this way you don't put money into the bass you may not be able to recover should you choose to let the bass go. Plus you can use the outboard pre with any other bass or basses you may own.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The pre-amp in thw Miller bass is a little hot (all boost) and with the treble boosted it can sound shrill. with the bass boosted it can be REAL THICK. You have to play a couple of active basses with "good" pre's to see that the Miller basses pre is just ok or decent at best. When I bought my bass it didn't play in "true" passive mode, the passive/active switch made it play with the pre flat thus you would hear the bass with a flat pre-amp setting. My bass has since been re-wired to not only play in "true passive" were there is a huge difference but it no longer eats batteries. The older Miller basses drained batteries as long as the switch was in active mode. Now that my bass is true passive using the outboard Aggie pre makes my bass really sing and it does sound a whole lot better!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you know when Fender changed the preamp design to work with the switch and whatnot?

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    There's your answer then.

10. TalkBass's own VinceLovesF had his Marcus Miller Jazz Bass modded with a Sadowsky preamp. I totally drool over it every time I see it. Check out Vince's thread here.

11. I read something somewhere that the particular bass Marcus plays (I.E. the signature 70's Fender) actually has something called a STAR preamp and not the Sadowsky one, or whatever it comes with. I think I read this in this months Bass player or Bass Guitar...something like that. There was a whole story behind it somewhere, if I go to borders again this week I'll pick up the issue and tell you guys what I found

12. This always comes up when Marcus Miller and the Sadowsky preamp get mentioned in the same thread. As far as I know, it comes down to that a Bass Player issue said Marcus had a "Sadowsky-modified Bartolini preamp" and the Marcus Miller website says that Roger Sadowsky installed a Bartolini preamp in Marcus's bass. Also, the point that Bartolini preamps are nearly impossible to "modify" as they are cast in epoxy is often raised.

I'm sure Marcus would sound like Marcus regardless.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey! Roger did modify Marcus's pre-amp, he put it in sideway's! :D

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I was just looking at John East site. Some very nice pieces. I had a Marcus Miller V that I sold to finance a Sadowsky. I wish I had it. I would like to try it with something like this. The main weakness in the MMV pre was the treble 'boost' was soooooo subtle to be hard to hear. At least for my used and abused ears. That said I love the Sadowsky . . . . but I miss the MMV.

15. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    If you have other passive basses, get the Sadowsky outboard.

I have an OBP-1 Aguilar in my MM bass, and I generally like it. I only need a little tiny bit of bass & treble boost. Beyond that, things tend to go downhill no matter what you're using.

Another thing you may want to consider doing in addition to a new preamp, would be to rewire for "true" passive mode.

And on a related topic... why on earth did I ever sell my Sadowsky outboard. D'oh!

16. I heard from the man himself that it was simply a bart preamp, but he might just not have been explaining all for some reason, probably time constraints. He also attempted to show that the tones of the real bass and the signature model are very similar, but the store where he was doing this bass clinic thing didn't have any of them in stock :rolleyes:

Definitely.

17. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    nspark is correct

Roger Sadowsky fitted a Bartolini TCT preamp to his 77 jazz. It is often a misconception (as Roger fitted it) it was a Sadowsky pre-amp.

I have the MMV and really love it. I will be doing a full review of it soon on Bass Tech UK with answers from Michael Frank-Braun from Fender R&D who built the MMV with Marcus.

It should answer most questions on this bass.

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    That's just plain old sad. I went to a Jack Casady in-store seminar a few years ago and the thing that impressed me the most was that he showed up without a bass, pulled an Epi JC Sig right off the store wall, did some minor setup work to it (teaching the entire group proper setup technique), used it for the first set of his seminar, autographed it, pulled down another one off the wall for his second set, did the same thing (sans setup class), autographed it and the store sold both of them to seminar attendees...they probably could have sold 20 of them that night if they had them in stock.

19. The whole thing is that Sadowsky offers a preamp for the MM with tone control in passive mode. That is one reason that VincelovesF loves his new pre amp. That is the same reason that I may do a pre amp change to mine too!

20. Is the JohnEast one easy to install? I dont think the Sadowsky is.