Upgrading Modulus Sweetspot : piezo/mag combo

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Mar 4, 2005.

1. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    I'm in the process of upgrading a '93 Modulus Sweetspot. I'm replacing the Kahler bridge with an ABM piezo and will be totally replacing the electronics as well.

I've decided on the piezo bridge and already have an Aguilar OBP-1 I'm planning on using. I'm also going to be ordering the Bartolini piezo/mag buffer on Monday. What I haven't decided on is the pickup.

I really like the sound of my Stingray 5 in parallel mode. I know that my Modulus is never going to sound like my Stingray, but that should give you an idea of the general type of sound I'm going for. I've never been a big fan of EMGs, never tried Bartolinis. I noticed that Nordstrand is now selling his soapbars, but there aren't any dimensions on his website and I'm guessing they probably wouldn't fit. It also appears that he's only selling them in pairs.

So, any suggestions?
  2. ModulOrr

Mar 4, 2005
    los Angeles
    How about an Alembic FatBoy pick-up? I also have a Modulus Sweetspot and I am considering putting alembic guts and a fatboy in mine. Don't you find the combination of the graphite neck and EMG's has too much treble?
  3. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    The EMG DCs are definitely too bright for my tastes...very difficult to EQ that sound out. My Sweetspot currently has the EMG TW, which allows you to switch between the CS sound and singlecoil sound, neither of which really do it for me either. In all fairness, the TWs are probably best used in pairs to get the most out of the singlecoil capability.

I'm not all that familiar with the Alembic stuff, I've heard that you have to use their preamps and pickups together and wonder how well all that stuff would interface with my piezo bridge. The price tag at this point is also a bit...prohibitive for me right now.

I'm really interested in the Nordstrands...my curiosity keeps growing. Hopefully someone out there can measure their pickups and let me know if it'll work.
  4. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    The soapbars I sell are 1.25" x 4.25", which is the same size as Bart P2's. I will add that info to the site in the near future - I've still got some bugs to work out on that site.
    Also, you can purchase only one at a time if you want.
    Maybe, if you really want the Stingray type tone you could have the bass routed and put a MM style pickup into it...
    Feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions.