1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading my amp; need something light and loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan B, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I know this topic has probably been asked ad nauseum, and I have an idea as to what to get, but I am looking for a replacement amp. As of now, my old TKO115S is cutting it anymore. It's too heavy, too weak for the weight that it has, and the inputs and controls are starting to flake out (though that can be fixed, granted). I have my mind set on the Fender Rumble 800 as it is a modeling amp and it is a lot lighter and considerably more powerful than the TKO, and that is what I am leaning towards. However, I have a few questions:

- Currently I do not play in a band, but would like to. I would like to get something that fills at most a large ballroom or club, or maybe some outdoor venues should the need arise. Is the 800 loud enough for that?

- I keep hearing about this tube watt thing being louder than normal watts. To me a watt is a watt, but is there some credence to that?

Anyway, my requirements are thus:
    - Needs to be light; I live in an apartment with no elevator (it's a converted house).
    - Needs to be loud.
    - Highest I can go is $950 or there around.

Is the Rumble 800 the one to go for or are there other, possibly better options that I should look at?

For the record, as I don't want to disturb the neighbors I play through an Amplitube iRig system into an iPad through headphones. It works but I don't want to be that guy and not have something to play through when searching for a band to play.

Thank you much!

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Something to keep in mind: some light and loud combos might be boomy, depending on bass and pedals you're using. Such was my experience with a black Fender Rumble 210 450w and and GK 212MB. They sounded real good, but that E string came in loud. And it wasn't a bass set-up or a pedal issue, in my case.