Upgrading my BassCollection SB465 - opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Hi.

I have started playing bass about 2 years ago, so im not all that current on whats aftermarket parts are available and what would work better on my bass, so Im asking for your opinions.

I have a BassCollection SB465.

It Currently has Gotoh Hardware,
    2 Active Pus (Jazz Bass Shape, same size as the JB 4Str Pus :S )
    2 Band Electronics (4 knobs)

I would like to upgrade this baby, but I dont know where to start...

Basically, I play every type of music, from Heavy Metal to Jazz, so I need a pretty versatile setup.

It doesnt matter to me if I have to widen the pu holes to fit "soapbars" or stay with the JB type pus, as long as it sounds wicked.
    same thing for the electronics, i dont mind having to drill a hole for an extra pot, etc.

I've been searching and Some brands have caught my eye, like Bartolini and EMG.

I've heard Bartolinis in a mate's custom bass and it sounded awesome, I havent heard the EMGs

So, can you give me some sugestions? what would you do to it if it was yours?
  2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah Bartolini's are awesome. I pulled the preamp out of my Modulus and replaced it with a Bartolini and it sounds great. Very musical eq's.

You could keep the stock pickup routings and try some Bartolini stacked jazz pickups. Replace that preamp with a 4 knob Bartolini vol/blend/bass/treble. Bart preamps are also cool in that if your battery dies, you can pull up on the volume knob and go passive. It's a nice backup if needed.

Bartolini J pickups

Bartolini 4.5A/P preamp with 4 knobs

Contact Brian at Best Bass Gear. He's super helpful and has a great selection mostly in stock.
  3. Thanks for your opinion man, thats pretty much the kinda thing I wanted.

I'd also like to hear other options though... help out guys, please... :smug: