Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgrading my Fender Jazz 5 MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deanthemachine, Mar 15, 2006.

1. deanthemachine

deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    I was recently in the market to upgrade my fender jazz 5 MIM with a MIA or MIA Deluxe, but I have come to realize that I just dont have the money at this time, and have decided to throw some upgades on my old bass. What would you feel would be the most beneficial, new pups, bridge, nut? Lookin to spend around 150 bucks tops.

2. my MIM J5 has a badass V bridge and bartolini 57J1-L/S's and it sounds great. though if you had to drop in one or the other, definately go with the pickups - she's as quiet as a mouse until you start rocking it out. the badass V is nice, though the corners are a bit sharp on the hand when you are playing up against the bridge.

3. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    First of all I would go for a new bridge, if you don't wanto to screw new holes go with a Badass, but I suggest you buying a Schaller 3d.
    and new tuners , also Schaller (BMFL or BML)
    About the pu...:meh: depends on what sound you're thinking about...

4. maaraksattack

maaraksattack

May 2, 2013
    Hey guys- i am also in the process of upgrading my Fender MIM- I recently bought the Barts 57j1 to upgrade the lousy pups on my Jazz bass..we'll see how this turns out.. Im positive it will drastically help my sound though. Been getting a lot of good reviews on the Barts 57j1 - if you want that dark, meaty , fat tone. :)

For further questions about Pickups and Barts in particular- you may Call Tom- 4805967195. I couldnt remember the name of his business but he is the expert when it comes to pickups and Barts in particular.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Every Bart I've ever used needed a preamp to make it work well. I'm not too sure how good the preamp is in the MIM basses. I have an American Deluxe, (04) the pickups and pre work just fine.
    Actually, my opinion on upgrading an MIM bass would be to get a good fret level and neck adjustment, then a better preamp. You'd have a better playing bass that sounds like a Fender, just a little better. jmho