1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrading My Fender Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ryevick, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Wanting to get the most out of my fretless bass and want to upgrade my bridge and probably the pickups as well. I am debating between the Leo Quan Badass II and the Babicz Full Contact bridges... I'm really thinking the Babicz and would love to hear your thoughts on these as well as suggestions on some nice pickups for this baby :D Thanks!

0326608500_frt_wmd_001.

49443_739263.

2. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I have both of those bridges. They both work great. No advantages between them other than weight. The bad ass is heavier while the babicz is quite light in comparison.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Use a light weight bridge. It has a more open tone. I really like the Hipshot Type A aluminum bridges.

4. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    I like the Babicz FCH bridge and Dimarzio Area J split coil pups on mine, but the stock Duncan Designed pickups are not bad at all if you don't mind the single coil hum. They are quite similar to Duncan's SJB-1's. If you want to solo the bridge like Jaco the Area J's are tough to beat for $100/pair. Real J knobs are a nice touch if you want the classic look.

5. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Personally I don't mind the stock bridge on mine. I did however put an Audere pre- in mine, but only b/c I had one available. I'm planning to swap for the Area J's, though as countbassiedad mentioned, the Duncan Designed are not bad at all. And yeah, swapping to jazz bass knobs adds a nice touch, or if you really want to do the Jaco thing, get flat-top P-Bass knobs!

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I recently put a black brass Hipshot A on my black Jazz bass. I cannot tell that there is even a slight difference in either tone or sustain. It does look nice though and that is all I expected out of it so I am quite satisfied!

Ken

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you put an aluminum Hipshot type A on you would have heard the difference immediately. I had an overly warm sounding bass that I wanted to open up a little, and now it's bright and snappy. Brass brings out a lot of low end, while the lighter aluminum bridges brings out the high end.

The bridge wont change the sustain unless the original bridge was made from wood or cheese or something soft. :) Sustain comes mostly from a stiff neck.