1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading my Hofner Icon

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Got a modified Hofner Icon as a gift, and love it, but would love to change out the pickups back to something more authentic.

I see THIS, for $150... http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/hofner/hofner_parts/hofner_pu.html

...and then, THIS, for only $30: http://www.allparts.com/PU-6420-010-Chrome-Pickup-for-Hofner-Style-Bass_p_3116.html

Allparts is a reputable company; I have no reason to believe that North Coast isn't. But could these two pickups be the same on the inside? I wonder if there are any Hofner nerds here who would point me in the right direction!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    In my opinion you won't see much tone difference all you need is Labella Flats or Pyramids and you should be good to go.

3. I'd go with the hottest set of pups DiMarzio makes, and then throw a Kahler Whammy on that bitch.

4. Cool! Then I can finally record my "fretlessman71 does Billy Sheehan does Paul McCartney" dream project!... :D

5. Bought TI Jazz Flats (they have a Hofner set) for my son's Icon. That's all she needed to come alive.

6. Oh, the strings on this one are PERFECT. The pickups are something found around a shop (the bass was found in serious disrepair, and several friends pitched in to get it to playable condition), and they resemble soapbar EMGs. I guess the only way to know how much they're coloring the sound in a "non-Hofner" way is to put something else in there, huh?

7. Gonna BUMP this to see if I can ensnare any Hofner aficionados before I pull the trigger. Thanks guys!

8. The two "staple" pickups appear to be about the same size.

The Allparts version is rated at 11K ohms. You could ask for an ohm rating on the other one.

My gut says the Allparts version is a safe bet for a lot less coin and probably going to get the bass back to the original tone, or something very close. Both the Icon and the parts are Asian-made, and that's surely where the Allparts version is made as well.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Go with the cheaper set and flats really bring out the thump in these basses you will not hear much difference with the higher priced set I've been round and round with these basses and learned the hard way. I would contact TB'er Peacefrog he is one of the experts around here for anything Hofner.

10. Bass is currently sporting LaBella "Beatle Bass" flats. I actually have these on a Univox violin bass copy and an Epiphone Rivoli as well. For these basses, they're clearly superior to anything else (never tried Pyramids though).

11. That's my experience as well. I own three Icons, all sporting LaBella Beatle Bass flats.

Pyramids much more pricey, but others rave about them.