Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading my MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WildBill, Aug 21, 2002.

1. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    What are the best Bridges and Pickups in a reasonable pricerange I could put on my bass?
    Thanks
    -Bill

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm not trying to be smart, but please define reasonable. Bridges and pickups can be had for well under $100 (each), but could you be more specific? Thanks:)

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...ditto:p

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For bridges, you could get a $20 gotoh, or a $150 ABM bridge. For a mexi jazz, i wouldn't spend much on a bridge. I'd recomend a gotoh, but if you like low action, you'll probably want to shim your neck.

5. Badass has a bridge thats a direct replacement.Also Dimarzio Ultra jazz pickups sound great and are humbucking so they don't hum.You can probably get the bridge and pickups for around a hundred bucks and it would deffinetly be an upgrade.

6. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    What sound are you after? I put Fender Original '62s in my MIM fretless and they really brought the sound to life. They're supposed to be vintage-sounding, but they have clear, glassy highs and growly mids.

I think bridge replacement is a bit overrated. It's nice to have a high mass bridge, but for me, the bigger issue is to have saddles that either are locked into place or that have channels to keep them from sliding laterally when you change strings.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's what I've got in my MIM Jazz. Dramatic improvement!:D

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hi Ram, good to see ya again:D !

I have BA bridge and EMG's in my MIJ Harris P. Spent $50 on the EMG's, and the bridge was standard. I have looked in to replacing the bridge w/ a black one, and think I can get out for under $50. But I haven't heard anything bad about Dimarzio's. ;)

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    two words. j-retro. consider it before you replace the pickups. i've heard stock mim jazz pickups through a j-retro and they sounded great.

10. What the man said.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    When I had a Mexi-Jazz I got caught in the "upgrade fever". I upgraded the bridge and pickups. I put in a Badass Bridge (the Gotoh is better and cheaper) and Duncan BassLines Quarter Pounders. You know what? It didn't sound any better. I regretted spending the money. I think I liked the original MIM out-of-the-box pickups and low-mass bridge better.

Do not underestimate the pickups and bridge that Fender put on that bass. They are -fine-.

Personally I can't comment on the J-Retro as I'm a passive EQ guy myself.

All i can say is give the bass some time, you may find that you can save your money and just enjoy that fine bass as it is.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh one more thing - I'm really happy with the passive single coil Bartolinis in my green custom jazz bass. If you're sold on upgrading the pickups consider Bartolinis. They are really nice and were not very expensive.

Keep in mind this advice is coming from soneome who doesn't like active EQ and doesn't mind the hum of a real single coil Jazz bass if it means I can get "that sound".

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...ditto:D

Wassssup???

I've heard great things about the J-retro, as have most people 'round here. I'd believe JT if he said the MIM Jazz sounded great with stock pickups and a J-retro. The biggest downfall of the stock pickups is that they're pretty weak, in terms of output. If you could boost the output signal with a preamp, such as a J-retro, that problem could easily be solved!

But, the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pu's are true humbuckers that look and sound like single coils. With them, there's no 60 Hz hum that you could get with single coils. My DiMarzios are dead quiet!:D